Chapter 27: Day Job

High in the skies...

James had trusted few people in the last few years of his... captivity. The scientists he had worked with, for the most part, had kept to themselves. That left Fuller, of all people, as his only consistent ally through all he had been through...

And to think, he was just a tool in his hand, a card to be play in some psycho's twisted little war game!

And yet, he had to leave his own daughter with that vulture to deal with his "day job".

Flying high in a copter on autopilot, he had to force himself to stay calm. Addressing the man himself via video phone wasn't helping.

"You have nothing to worry about," Fuller assured, his nonchalant attitude making James want to grind his teeth into nothing.

"Nothing? NOTHING!? You see my children, the best things that have happened in my life..."

"What about your would-be wife?" Fuller added, the ghost of a smirk appearing on his face.

James growled. "Y-You know what I mean!"

"Tell me, how much have you seen her in action lately?"

"What do you...?" A look of realization crossed the scientist's face. "I've been with Cybil her entire life!"

"Maybe in terms of your pep-talks, but apart from serving as mission control at times, you don't have any experience with her, and you've rarely seen her even move."

"What are you talking about? Thanks to you, I got a very close look at that when she was first awakened."

He shuddered at the remembrance of a mutilated arm. Thank goodness for modern medicine.

"By the way," Fuller continued, changing the subject. "You'll be happy to know that your other... progeny are doing quite well..." Fuller noticeably twitched. "As domesticated as they are."

James involuntarily balled his fists. "And you'd better leave them that way!"

"Let me ask you, James. How much havoc do you think your 'children' are causing even in the places where I've deployed them? Have you actually considered their lack of training, for example?"

James opened his mouth to retort, but closed it again. Fuller was right. The powers of his five creations for the Organization hadn't been extensively tested before being put into use. In fact, the "incidents" surrounding them had immediately slated them for destruction. Fuller had to step in after that at James' behest.

James was starting to regret that decision.

"You know I'm right."

"Did you call me just to prod me like a caged animal?"

Fuller looked almost insulted by his accusation. "Why, no. I merely called to update you on your 'daughter' and tell you that she was in good hands. You know, you owe your life to me. Meaning I'm the only reason you're alive. Be grateful. Enjoy your hot dog stand."

As the feed broke, James only groaned at that last comment. He literally worked at a hot dog stand as a cover by the Organization. As the chopper landed, he could only hope that Cybil would survive this and by some miracle, the rest of his children could continue to live in relative secrecy and peace.