Chapter 92: Reunions Under The Worst Of Circumstances

It was clear to all now that Wester's scheme was collapsing around him. If his own life weren't hanging by a thread, he would have laughed at this folly.

Apparently, the illusion of a dark room was simply a cover for a raised walkway above a empty hangar landmarked by a giant robot...

That must be where the money that would have otherwise been used to give Ryu his legs went. Of course.

Wester himself (not a hologram, but the real deal) appeared on the railing next to his chair. He was too busy screaming his head off to pay attention to James directly.

"You... You won't embarrass me! I put so much time into all of this!"

A voice shouted up. "Apparently, not enough!"

Max!

"Did you even remember that I would be here?" Rachel, though she didn't exactly have to yell...

"Oh, shut up, you loathsome oaf!"

Wester's line propelled James's fist all the way to his face.

"You..." He smirked maliciously. As he got up smarting from the blow. "You PATHETIC INSECT!"

Both were on top of each other now, fighting for control. Wester quickly won out though, putting the scientist on the defensive.

He was still covering his face with his hands when the fists suddenly stopped raining down.

"Are you all right, James?"

That voice, robotic or not, was unmistakable.

His eyes widened. Anything he wanted to say evaporated.

"He's going to get back up. You need to go hide."

His legs wouldn't leave the presence of his fiance. She didn't seem to recognize him, but his mind wouldn't accept that.

She sighed. She was about to say something to him when an activation sound was heard and the entire area rumbled as connecting wiring snapped, loud to the point of deafening.

The robot!

***

Cybil woke to the sounds of rumbling penetrating what was apparently a large hangar of some sort. Was this where that virtual world really had been?

She didn't even have time to think before a giant, robotic fist came down on the spot she had been standing on, leaving a sizeable crater.

It was a good thing that her instincts were sharp, despite the beating she took.

"Die, girl!" It was Wester speaking through a microphone.

A stomp came for her next, but a blur stopped it.

Her revenant mother stood before her again. She prepared to fight again.

"Put your guard down, child! I'm an ally, not an enemy!"

As they turned to face their mechanical foe, Wester decided to mock yet again.

"How touching. Well, at least this way, Jimmy can witness mother and daughter DIE TOGETHER!"

***

Above: Marcia's Theme - Theme of Decapre, Street Fighter IV