Chapter 85: Virtual Games

Ryu had vanished from the front office, reappearing in something that looked like virtual reality. He seemed all alone. No one around. He was scared, and he wasn't ashamed to admit it.

"Hello..." His shout echoed throughout the space.

"Ryu-san?"

"Raelynn! Where are you?!"

"I don't know! I... I'm scared..."

He didn't blame her. "Uh... Can you scan your environment? You know, try to get a feel for where you are...?"

A brief pause. "I've got nothing. It's as if we're in the vacuum of space or something." The girl sounded as if she was on the verge of crying.

"Don't cry... Look, we can hear each other, right?"

"Yeah..."

"Well then, we can help each other out..."

"We can't even physically see each other!"

"Then we'll just keep in constant contact," Ryu responded, trying to calm himself down as well as his sister. "I... I... I got your back, sis."

"That means a lot..." Her voice was softer, but he could still hear her. Apparently, they didn't have to shout. "Thanks."

"No charge. Now, come on! We'll take it step by step and make it through this."

They didn't get more than a few inches before obstacles came out of nowhere. Spikes, turrets and other obstacles surrounded him.

"Ryu... Are you seeing this...?"

He didn't have to think very hard about what she was probably seeing.

"I wouldn't touch anything you're seeing..."

"You think we'd feel real pain if we..."

"Don't take a chance on that, sis. For all we know, this VR could be rigged somehow to actually hurt us. This guy wants us dead, remember?"

"Yeah... I'll be careful."

The game was on, it seemed.

***

Corrin reappeared in a virtual reality world of some sort that was strangely empty. It was unnerving.

"So... What do we do?" The gamer asked.

Corrin was in full-on "ninja mode", as he called it. "Proceed with caution! We are not alone!"

Surprisingly, nothing jumped out at them for quite a while, until a lone turret appeared in the roadway.

Before it could fire, Corrin cut its stand with some kunai what he carried. It fell harmlessly to the side before disintegrating into virtual data.

"Uh... Okay, then." Moonie was impressed.

More turrets popped up, surrounding the duo.

"Now, it's my turn! Move on my word."

Corrin didn't balk at Moonie's command. He knew that he was serious, and he wasn't up to arguing right now.

"NOW! Aegis Reflector!"

The ninja moved as the gamer projected a purple shield that moved out in front of him. The turrets took themselves out trying to fire at it before the shield broke.

The two ran until they got tired. Then they took their rest as Moonie put up shields to protect them from sneak attacks. Occasionally, beings would pop into existence that resembled orcs. That didn't help matters, but the two continued fighting side by side, taking breaks along the way.

However, their thoughts turned to what this was all leading to. What was waiting to "surprise" them at the end of this rabbit trail?

***

Above: Virtual Games (1) - Zero Stage 2, Mega Man X5