Daniel

I wait until everyone else leaves so I can say goodbye. Millie wasn't my favorite person, but I cared for her all the same. She was basically a sibling to me. I push her ombre blonde hair out of her face and sit beside her for a moment. "Goodbye, Millie." I smile, closing my eyes to hide the pain inside them. "I'll make sure to find out what you got on that last English test for you. It's the least can do considering--"

"Daniel? Are you okay...?"

"Jasmine! Hi! Yeah, I'm fine. I barely knew Millie anyway." I look over at her, smiling. She smiles a little back, but it's forced.

"Okay, I saw you talking to her, so I wasn't sure if you were friends." She sounds unconvinced, but it doesn't look like she's going to pry.

"I can't say we weren't, but I like to think I'm friends with everyone." I laugh a little. it's a bit forced, but Jasmine doesn't seem to notice.

"Oh..."

"Come on, let's go join up with the others. I've been dying to see them." I stand, walking over to her.

"Weren't they just here?" She asks.

"It was a... never mind." I shrug, but then she gets it.

"Oh, Very funny, Daniel." She smiles.

"What can I say? I'm hilarious!" I laugh, leading the way out of the room. Jasmine follows.

"Daniel?" she says before we reach the others.

"Yeah?" I reply.

"Are you really okay?"

I turn to face her and smile a little more. "I'm as good as I've ever been."

"If you're sure..." She smiles another forced smile and walks away.

"I'm not..." I whisper as she walks over to Caspian. She doesn't hear me.

"Daniel! Are you looking ahead with a straight face?!" I feel a hand on my shoulder and turn. Kelvin stands there in front of me.

"I'm just thinking," I reply, smiling at my... acquaintance.

"About the killer, right? well, you're in luck! I have found her!" He grins.

"Her?" I ask.

"I don't know her name yet, but I figured it out! It's the girl with the brown hair." He scans the room.

"Uh... which one?"

"I don't know! well, I do, but she's not here right now."

"Your sister has brown hair you know." I point out carefully.

"Yeah, but it's not her! It's the other one." He says. "the one with the brown eyes!"

"Sorry, Kelvin, but you're just describing your sister."

"The one with the weird mask over her mouth!"

"Oh, Mia, why Mia?" I say, referring to one of the quieter people with us.

He places his hands over my eyes and leads me down the hall. We come to a stop maybe two minutes later, and he removes his hands. "ta-da!" He says, pointing into a room where Mia lays silently sleeping on the floor.

"She's sleeping...?"

"On the floor. With Sebastian." He points at the golden eyes staring at me from a nearby chair.

"What does that have to do with it?" I ask.

Sebastian leaps off the chair. He walks over to us. He stares into my eyes, almost like he's judging me. He takes a deep breath while flattening his hair a little, then speaking, "Leave her. She's trying to sleep."