Daniel

My eyes close for almost five seconds at a time. It's obvious that I'm tired, but really I just need coffee.

"Daniel? Did you sleep last night?" Jasmine asks, walking over and sitting down beside me.

"Yes...?" I lie.

"That's the third night that you haven't slept... in a row..." She looks concerned.

"I'm fine, I just need some coffee!" I make sure to smile extra wide to reassure her.

"Fine... but please try to sleep tonight, okay?"

"Okay."

She smiles a little.

"Let's go get coffee!" I get up and extend my hand to her. She takes it, and I help her up. We walk into the 'food room'. I pour myself some coffee, making sure to add one part sugar for each part coffee. Stirring in the sugar, I add more to make it far more than a 1:1 ratio.

"So, are you okay now?" Jasmine asks.

"Yup! At this rate, I'll die of a sugar crash before the killer even gets close."

She shakes her head. "How much sugar did you add?"

"Let's just say there's more sugar in here than coffee," I reply.

"Daniel!"

"what?"

"You really will have a sugar crash..."

"Don't worry!" I say, placing my free hand on her shoulder. "I can handle sugar. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if my blood was just straight pixie sticks by now." I laugh a little, and she smiles faintly.

There's a slight coughing sound from the corner of the room. Jasmine jumps. I glance over to see Mia and Sebastian across the room.

"Mia, Sebastian, I didn't see you there!" I say with a smile.

"We were just leaving," Sebastian says coldly. He and Mia get up and leave. They exit The door opposite the one Jasmine and I came in.

"Well, he's got a cat-titude." I laugh, watching the cat-like boy leave.

"Did you upset him?" Jasmine asks.

"I don't think so, maybe," I reply. I take a few sips of my overly sweet coffee. "We should go back to the group." 

She nods.

I lead her to the group, back the way we came. The lights flicker slightly, and Jasmine grabs my hand.

"You okay?" I ask, turning to look at her.

"Hmm... oh... yeah..! Sorry..." she tries to release my hand, but I smile reassuringly and give her hand a light squeeze.

"It's okay. I don't mind." She smiles a little in return.

"Thank you... Daniel..."

"Sure thing, Princess Jasmine."

We just take moment of silence, comforting each other by not saying anything. The lights keep flickering, and each time Jasmine seems a little less scared. That's all I can hope for.

"I can't... I'm sorry Daniel... I can't do this to you." She says out of nowhere, pulling her hand away from mine.

"What do you mean?" I ask, slightly confused.

"I'm probably going to die. I don't want you to--"

"You're not going to die. I won't let you die."

"You don't understand... I have really bad luck. Things don't usually work out... What if you're not there...? What if you die, too...?"

"I guess it's a good thing that I'm really lucky...! And if I'm not with you, just make a pun. I have a great pun radar. Trust me. If anyone makes a pun, I will know." I place my hand on her shoulder comfortingly. She looks up at me again, so I smile even more. "Don't worry, okay?"