The begining

INTRODUCTION

       “Alexandra, were on our way to the doctors.” I heard my mother Julie calling from her room. I opened my door and walked up to her. “How long will you be gone? Will you and dad both be home tonight? Or do you have to stay?” I asked leaning against her door frame. “The doctor says I need to stay all night, and until the baby is born, but your father is free to come home whenever.” She said in the bubbly voice she’s been having lately.  I was about to talk, but my dad cut in to explain it to me. “I’m gonna stay with your mother tonight, but I’ll be home tomorrow.” He said picking up mom’s suitcase, and walking back down the stairs. “I hope the baby is healthy.” I hear her say as she looks down at her stomach and rubs it. “It will be mom…It has to be.” I say awkwardly. How do I tell a pregnant lady that her baby won’t die at birth? If there’s a way I haven’t heard it. They both climbed into the car and waved at me as I stood in the doorway.  “Bye hunny! Come and visit me tomorrow after school!” My mom yelled out the passenger side window. “Okay mom I will!” I said as they drove away. Wow all alone…and mom won’t be back for who knows how long. I closed the door and walked up to my room. “This house is too quiet when I’m the only one in it.”I said sighing and walking to my computer. I turned on my music and laid on my bed. I was so tired though, that I couldn’t make out any of the words that were being said. The voices turned to whispers, as the weight of my eyelids became too heavy for me to bear. I slipped into a comma like sleep that was full of pain. But no matter how many times I tried to wake up, I never could. The pain was like having my spine get ripped out of my body without any anesthetics. “AHHHHHH!” I woke up screaming and dripping with sweat. I wiped my face and noticed tears that at first I hadn’t even noticed were falling. They were warm and gooey on my cold skin. I looked to my window. “No wonder I’m cold.” I said to myself as I got up to close it. I winced a little as the pain from my dream stuck with me as I moved. It was dark out, darker than usual. It was clear, but there was no light to be seen from the moon or the stars. I turned on my light, and walked into the bathroom. I flipped on the light and almost screamed at my own reflection. My skin was paler than I’d ever seen on anyone, my usual light brown hair turned so dark it was almost black, my eyes seemed to fade into a transparent electric blue, and there was blood dripping from my nose. “Oh my god!”I exclaimed. “I almost drowned on my own blood!” I quickly grabbed a towel to stop the bleeding. I stripped off my clothes and got in the shower. The water was warm and for a moment felt hot enough to burn my skin off. I finished shampooing, and put in the conditioner to sit. “I guess that explains why my tears were so sticky.” I said grabbing my toothbrush and pasting it. I let my mouth fill up with the hot water. My teeth hurt slightly by it, but not much. I stuck my toothbrush in my mouth, but missed and knocked it against something else. Both pain and shock shot through my body as I dropped my toothbrush. “AGGG!” I groaned clutching my head. Once the pain had mostly stopped I picked up my toothbrush and rinsed it off. I set it on the side and felt my teeth. Instead of my normal straight teeth, I felt one long sharp thing on each side. “What?!” I asked myself. I turned off the water and rapped my towel around me stepping out. I walked to the mirror and hesitated for a moment. But my curiosity got the better of me once again. I rubbed the steam off with my hand and tried to smile at my reflection. This time I didn’t hold back, I screamed at my reflection. I screamed about my skin, about my eyes and about my “fangs.” But really I was screaming at what I knew I’d become. Or what I’d secretly always been. That was the day that I woke up dead.