New Beginning

Zach P.O.V

I opened my eyes. I could hear crying in the background. I turned over to face y/n on the opposite side of the room. She sat, her back facing me, crying. I couldn't stand to see her so hurt. Even though she said she was fine, I knew she wasn't. I knew her better than she knew herself. She needed space and time. I knew the conversation affected her. We haven't talked about that night for over a year. But today, she decided to bring it up. I wonder why. I thought she was over it, which is why she brought it up, but after seeing her face, she wasn't fine. 

"y/n?"

"Go back to bed" she said through sobs. 

I pulled the covers off of me and sat on her bed. 

I knew saying something would make it worst, so I just put my arm around her. She hugged me and started crying harder. 

"Hey, it's okay" I sad repeatedly. 

I ran my hand up and down her back, soothing her. My hands felt warm under her touch. She hugged me tightly back. Her warm arms wrapped around my bare chest. 

All I wanted to do was to protect her. To make sure nothing ever bad happens to her. She's already been through the worst time of her life. She doesn't need more. 

"Take the pain away" she mumbled. 

"Take the pain away. I don't want to remember" she said again. 

She sobbed even harder into my chest. This was the most she's ever cried in the past year. Seeing her so hurt wanted me to make Ethan and Grayson pay for what they've done. Make them pay for reopening the wound. But I knew that even if I did, y/n would never forgive me. 

I kissed the top of her head. 

"Look at me" I said

Her bloodshot eyes stared into mine.

"Everything is going to be okay." I said "Remember what I told you."

That seemed to calm her down. 

She just nodded. I laid her gently on the bed and walked over to mine to go back to sleep. 

"Zach?" she asked "Can you sleep with me?"

y/n and I haven't slept in the same bed since we were little. We used to have sleepovers and sleep in the same bed and cuddle. Now that we were older, we new things. It wasn't the same, but I agreed and went under the covers. She turned over to face me. I could feel her body warmth radiating off of her. She was so beautiful. I never wanted to admit it to myself, but she was. I knew she didn't feel the same about me, but at this very moment, I wanted to kiss her perfect lips. I wanted to do all the things a friend wouldn't. But I never could. We're just friends. She would never forgive me if I did those things. I would just have to bear with her future boyfriends and husbands. I'll have to watch her get married to someone that's not me. I turned my head away. I couldn't stand to look at her. 

She scooted closer to me and wrapped her arms around my bare chest. My heart beat out of my chest. Her hand moved over my heart. 

"Why is you heart beating so fast?" she asked

"I just miss this" I replied.