Letters and more letters | Chapter II

Jack's POV
    In the camp the bodies were transported to their home to have a proper funeral. It reminded me that this was done with Dough, and that just brought me sadness. I thought of how now, being here, this could happen to me and I wouldn't be able to marry Elizabeth. And that I should fight for our future together.
    I asked if I could take a break and write a letter. I wrote to Elizabeth.
This is the letter I wrote her:

Dear Elizabeth,
    I miss you so much. I'm not telling you how is here so you won't worry. Just know that as soon as this is over I'll go back and marry you, because that is all I want to do.
With all my love, Jack.

Then I wrote a letter to Abigail. This is the letter:

Dear Abigail,
     How are you? I write you this letter to ask you to take care of Elizabeth. I wish you luck being mayor. I'm sure you're doing a great job. I wish you the best.
Jack.
I knew the letters would arrive very late, because the mail service was very slow up here, but they would arrive sooner or later and they would know I was hoping to see them again. Then I went to the mail post to leave the letters, and the mailman told me a letter had arrived for me.
He gave it to me and I realized it was from Elizabeth. I read it and I felt how a tear went down my cheek. She wrote that Rip had passed. We went through a lot together he was like a brother who couldn't talk. We had been the two bachelors for a long time. I was very sad, but I had to go back and fight, to go back to Hope Valley and marry Elizabeth. While I was going back to the sector where the fight was taking place on, I prayed for Rip,for Dough, for Elizabeth, for Cody, for Abigail, for all the people in Hope Valley and for all the mounties, including me.
I arrived to the fighting sector and took my gun to threat the criminals. I had to be careful,  not to be ambushed by the gangs. I had to lead my division, it was a big responsibility. It was hard to make sure that no one was ambushed and save the people who had been attacked by the groups and take them to a safe place.
Jack! Look there is someone there! On the back of that house.-I heard a mountie shouting.
Thomas, Luke come with me and take your guns in case it's a criminal.- I ordered
Luke, Thomas and I dismounted our horses and went to the back of the house to see who was there. All I could see was a track of blood. I charged my gun, Thomas and Luke did the same. We followed the track and found a young girl. She was about six years old, and she was hurted. I asked her what had happened to her and where her parents were. She said they had been killed by men with masks. I took her on my horse and told the rest of the mounties to continue covering the territory while I took her to the camp on my horse with Thomas and Luke, just in case we found someone else who was also injured. Luckily we didn't found anyone running away or injured.