Chapter One

Music

I could honestly tell you I’d rather be dead than live a life without music. Everybody had a passion for something in this world and music was mine. Unfortunately, I had no talent in singing and had missed any opportunities I had for learning how to play an instrument years ago. But my heart was perfectly content with only listening to the brilliance of others.

My feet kicked back and forth on the creaky swing I was sitting on, my hands gripping the chains tightly. I grimaced as my bare thighs stuck to the uncomfortable seat and my headphones blasted Queen to maximum volume. Surprisingly, the park was completely empty in the summer blaze and if I paused my music, I knew the only sounds I would hear would be of birds chirping. Geese were floating in the murky pond and the sky couldn’t have been any brighter than it was now. Planted daisies were blooming next to every bench and I could see the clear lake in the distance sparkle.

I sighed at the simplicity of the beauty nature offered. If it weren’t for the heat that was making me sweat underneath my Guns’ N Roses t-shirt, I would never want to leave this spot. Nearly everybody loved summer: no school, swimming, and barbeques. I dreaded it every year as I got older. Things at home were at their lowest during the summer, but these last couple of years I’ve finally been old enough to go wherever I wanted.

That would explain why I was sitting in the park at almost six in the evening. How late I came home or if I bothered coming home didn’t matter and one of my favorite things to do was go outside alone and listen to music. At this moment, there was no one to bother me and no one to listen to except for Freddie Mercury’s brilliant voice. I couldn’t think of a more relaxing thing to do and I secretly smiled as I thought this would probably be how I spent most of my summer nights.

My phone vibrated on my hand, momentarily scaring me but I relaxed when I saw that it was a text from my best friend.

Wanna crash Greg’s party tonight?

I looked upwards at the sky, pondering the question. Parties originally weren’t really my thing, though after going to more than a few, they had become almost fun. But going to parties and party crashing were two different things. And it wouldn’t be difficult to figure out that my best friend wanted to crash this party because Greg was her ex-boyfriend that recently dumped her for some slut because she wouldn’t have sex with him. I sent her a quick reply and stood up, ready to walk back home. My lips turned into a frown as I realized the sun was no longer basking me in its light.

My foot automatically kicked a large rock in front of me while I thought something’s definitely going to happen tonight.

∞∞∞

I sat in the passenger seat of my best friend’s 2006 Honda Civic, patiently waiting as she reapplied some eyeliner and mascara to her already gorgeous face.

“Tonight,” Savannah declared, “I’m going to make Greg so jealous he’ll be begging on his knees for me to take him back.”

I shook my head, partially disagreeing and said, “You’ll make him jealous alright, but I highly doubt you’ll get him on knees begging.”

Savannah’s wicked grin in the rearview mirror as she glossed her lips told me she was accepting the challenge. I was positive that she could get any guy on their knees pleading because she was the epitome of beauty, but Greg cared too much about his pride to fight for Savannah. She smacked her lips a final time before zipping up her makeup bag and throwing it in the glove compartment. “Ready?” she asked excitedly and I could only nod my head in response.  

We both stepped out of the car and slammed the doors shut simultaneously. I could hear the pounding of Kesha being played, much to my dismay and the cheering of high schoolers’. Savannah was dressed to kill in a pair of black, high-waisted shorts and a black and white striped shirt. Her mid-length ruby hair was in thick curls and her mint green eyes were gleaming with the thrill of what would happen tonight.