Chapter Six

"You know," Savannah said, "there's a party at Blake's house tonight. He's hosting a bond fire." She threw her head back against the foot of my bed, causing her fiery red curls to bounce through the movement and spill over the edge. Her long legs were suddenly up in the air and I watched with remote interest as she kicked her feet up in the air, wiggling her turquoise painted toes.

"So I've heard," was my vague response. It had been two hours since that disastrous family dinner and it was nearing nine o'clock. Leaving the house didn't seem like the best course of action, especially after that comment my mother had made about me going out all the time. So, in an unusual change of events, I invited Savannah over and for the past two hours we had done nothing but dawdle.

Alright, I couldn't exactly say 'we' considering Savannah's been trying to cheer myself up and get me to leave my bed which I have recently grown a strong attachment to. Ever since my brother had spoken those words, I'd been stuck in an endless daze filled with unrealistic what if's and a countless number of possibilities of what the future could be like.

Maybe Elliott coming home was what this family needed. It wasn't as if his presence had gone unnoticed; there was only four of us in this family. When he left, there was an unexplainable feeling in the air that something was missing and that something was Elliott; he was the glue that kept us from breaking. Even if it was just for the summer, he being here could be what brought us back together.

"Oh, London!" Savannah groaned. She placed her big toe on the tip of my nose, startling me away from my train of thought.

I shoved her foot away from me, scrunching my face in disgust. "What are you doing?" I pushed myself up a few inches and rested my weight on my elbows so I was able to get a good look at what was on my best friend's mind.

"I don't mean to sound insensitive," she began and rolled off the bed, hopping to her feet. "But I don't want to lay around in your bed all night. I want to go out! Have some fun! Make memories." Savannah headed straight for my closet and shuffled through the back of it which was where I kept my dresses.

I stayed silent and caught the pale blue dress she tossed in my direction. I gave it a quick glance, admiring its simplicity. There was nothing special about it, no intricate designs or details. However, the way it was cut and fitted provided a rare elegance most dresses lacked.

It was a sleeveless summer dress featuring a scalloped neckline and little gold buttons trailing down the middle. The bodice was fitted and once it reached the hips, flared out and ended right before my knees. I remembered Savannah had gave it to me as a birthday present, especially because the dress had matched the color of my eyes.

"I don't know, Van." My lips had set into a frown but when my eyes flashed over to where Savannah was standing, holding a pretty white dress against her body and checking herself out through the mirror, I knew I couldn't refuse.

"Fine," I mumbled.

"That a girl!" Savannah grinned and shot me a thumbs up.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. You don't need to treat me like a dog." Reluctantly, I got up from my bed and stripped off my clothes. I slid the dress gently through my arms, over my shoulders and adjusted it, patting down any wrinkles.

Although I was going to this party, I wasn't going to put too much effort in my appearance. There was no time for that and I certainly wasn't in the mood for dressing up. All I wished for at the moment was to get away from this house and be happy, or at least as close to happiness as I can get.

I removed my eyeliner that had faded away as the day had passed by and reapplied my mascara. The dress I was wearing had to be worn with little makeup, otherwise it would take away from the simplicity of it. I brushed my hair and added a round gold locker my grandmother had given me before she had died.