The Capture

At first, Makuu was unresponsive when Dalilah revealed that Kitwana might have been taken by the two-legs. Then he saw red. In a fit of overwhelming anger and grief, he snapped his teeth at Bakshi and was this close to actually hurting her. Akina and the Lion Guard holding him back, and Simba's timely arrival was the only thing that stopped him. 

Afterward, he retreated into the depths of Lake Matope to cool down—literally and figuratively. By the time he returned to the surface, most of the herds had left. The only exceptions were the zebras and gazelles, who asked to stay for the night. They were still too nervous to go back to their own places. It was nighttime, so everyone was already asleep—his own float included.

Makuu looked in the vague direction of the watering hole. Was Kitwana alright? What would the two legs do to him? 

Why did he let him go? And the last words he'd actually spoken to him gave the impression that Makuu didn't want him around anymore, but... it's not true. Even if Kitwana didn't say any parting words, he should have. But instead, he just made the same mistake that led him to...

No. Not this time. The difference is that now he still has a chance to do something. He's not going to 'let it slip' anymore.

Makuu silently swam toward the shore and started walking toward the watering hole but stopped when he heard a rustle from the nearby bushes. "Come out, I know you re there."

Hodari poked his head out of the bushes. "Hey, Makuu! Are you going to look for Kitwana?"

"I am. And you're not going to stop me."

"I don't want to stop you, Makuu. I want to go with you."

The crocodile looked down at him. "What?"

"I'm going to help you! I won't just sit by while Kitwana might be in danger."

"Hodari, I... appreciate the gesture, but those two-legged animals are apparently more dangerous than hyenas, jackals, and Kiburi's float combined. I don't want you to get squashed."

"The good thing about being small is that I have plenty of hiding spots. I might be able to infiltrate their den and find Kitwana. Sides, if they do find, I still got my moves!" the little gecko did another attempt of the tail spin, and his tail ended up hitting his head again. "Ow!"

Makuu rolled his eyes. But Hodari did have a point. A gecko was small enough to infiltrate a den undetected, and it'd be easier for such a small creature to hide. He didn't know how the two-legs' den was, or many of them lived there. 

More bushes rusted. This time, it was four crocodiles who came out: Ghubari, Balozi, Bayana and... Akina?!

"What are you doing here?!" he hissed in a low voice.

"You didn't think we'd let you go against those animals alone, did you?" Balozi retorted.

"It's too dangerous! I cannot ask you to come with me when this is something I must do alone!"

Bayana snorted. "How curious, since judging by what just transpired a few seconds ago, Hodari was going to join you. And he's tiny."

"That's an advantage in this case. He wouldn't be easily spotted by the two legs."

"But what help would he be if you decide to confront them directly."

"Besides, little Kitwana might not be a crocodile, but he's still part of the float! We're not going to sit by while one of our own is in trouble." Ghubari said matter-of-factly.

Before Makuu could say anything else, Akina stepped forward. "Let's go ahead while Makuu considers his options." She said teasingly.

As she expected, he reacted almost instantly. "In case you forgot, Akina, I'm the leader. Let's go before anyone else decides to join unexpectedly." he murmured, to which his mate giggled.