The Past

It didn't take long for the rest of the Pride Lands to hear that Akina, Hodari, and some of the other crocodiles had returned from the Outlands... without Makuu. When Simba went to ask what had happened, Hodari was the one to explain what had happened—though he barely managed to do so in between sobs. 

Given the circumstances, Simba could only assume that the two legs had most likely killed Makuu, leaving the crocodiles leaderless. However, he didn't dare ask them what they did under these circumstances. Not when they were mourning their loss in their own way.

Akina had been... unresponsive ever since their return. She wouldn't talk to anyone. She didn't sleep and barely ate. She'd lie down on the edge of the lake, staring into the distance, as if expecting her mate to return. As days passed, she wouldn't move from there. She never paid any heed to any of the other leaders when they came to offer their condolences.

The only time she showed a reaction was when it was Simba's turn. The glare she gave him would have sent shivers down Scar's spine.

"I don't need your pity, Your Majesty, because my mate isn't gone. He will come back. Until then, you can name whoever you see fit as his substitute."

Simba was visibly stunned—and perhaps even frightened—by the hostility. He was used to Makuu's raging fire, not Akina's icy cold rage. 

No wonder even Makuu respected her.

Since Makuu hadn't been challenged or defeated in a Mashindano, the float collectively decided that a substitute was needed. Akina had been the first thought, but the other females in the float pointed out that she was in no emotional condition for such a task, insisting that they let her mourn. 

None of the other crocodiles offered themselves. Having failed to save their leader, they didn't feel worthy of such a position.

This only left one option

....

Lake Tamope was beautiful at sunset, but there was a spot where it was said you could feel the warmth of the sun's final rays before it disappeared behind the mountains. It was Akina's favorite spot to bask with her mate, but now, she lay there alone.

Everyone thinks he's gone, but she knows better. Her Makuu wouldn't go down without a fight. He'd find a way to return. He would return to her. She just... she couldn't imagine life without him anymore.

Someone approached, but she didn't move. She didn't need to. She recognized those heavy, slow paw steps. 

"Pua..." 

"Good evening, Akina." the old crocodile greeted politely. "The others said I'd find you here." 

"So you were picked as Makuu's replacement?"

Pua shook his head. "Substitute would be a better choice of words. Makuu can never be replaced. However, you'll still keep your authority as his mate."

Akina shifted, curling up into a ball. "This is where he proposed..."

"Ah, yes, I remember. It was the final proposal when you finally accepted, right?" 

Akina nodded. "I saw another side of him that day. He wasn't the same jerk that had been harassing me for years... Before that day, I never thought he could show such tenderness and love..."

Pua chuckled. "How many times did he ask you after winning the Upenduwa?"

"He didn't exactly ask me the first time. As the new leader, he tried to demand that I be his mate... I didn't understand why he was so interested in me when he didn't pay that much attention to me when we were hatchlings... Then, he wants me to be his mate out of the blue? Then he won the Mashindano, and it wasn't long before the power got to his head..."