Chapter 23

Kion and the others were escorting some of the herds into Mizimu Grove-usually animals didn't mind the rain, but a storm this bad was the exception-when a group of different animals approached Beshte. They were exhausted, soaking wet, but overall they looked upset. They claimed Makuu and Kitwana were in danger and needed assistance.

The Guard had splitting opinions: Beshte, Bunga and Kion wanted to go take a look, while Fuli (who was already very wet and didn't want to go back out into the storm) and Ono (who had trouble flying in such downpours) were reluctant to go out. But as the Lion Guard, they had to see for all the animals in the Pride Lands, so they followed Julisha and Umoja.

By the time they entered the Outlands and arrived to the edge of the canyon, the storm had placated for the now, much to Fuli's relief, but the pit was flooded and it seemed as if a river was running through it. Ono was sent up ahead to look for any signs of Makuu and Kitwana, and he took off.

He flew for a few miles until he came to a waterfall formed from the sudden and abrupt change of height in the bottom of the canyon. He narrowed his eyes when he spotted a speck of green, and realized it was the animals he was looking for. He instantly flew back to the rest of the group.

"Did you find them?!" Julisha asked, visibly concerned.

"They are up ahead, but I don't know if they're completely okay. From the looks of it, I think they fell down the waterfall!" Ono replied in distress.

"Ow, that's gotta hurt..." Bunga muttered, rubbing his back.

"Maybe they're hurt and will need help!" Beshte cried out.

"Shouldn't we inform Akina and the crocodile float about this?" Fuli inquired. "I mean, they've been very sad over both their disappearances..."

"I think it's best we first make sure they are both alright," Ono suggested, landing on Beshte's back to recover his breath. "I mean, what if they're NOT okay? I wouldn't like to give Akina false hope."

"He has a good point," Umoja stated with a sigh. "I wouldn't like to do that to her. She's a nice crocodile..." he thought for a moment. "...For a crocodile."

Kion glanced up at Ono. "Ono, lead the way."

With a quick nod, Ono took off once more, this time at a slightly lower pace so the rest of the Guard could follow him. It took a little longer to get there because of this; by the time they arrived, the storm had fully ended and the dark clouds cleared, revealing the night sky.

Ono was the first to fly down into the canyon while the others rushed carefully down a stair-like formation to the side. He landed right next to the crocodile. "Makuu! Are you okay?"

Though surprised by seeing Ono of all animals, Makuu would lie if he said he wasn't happy to see him. "Ono..." he said in a rather weak and sore voice. "What are you doing here?"

"A group of animals said you needed help."

"They weren't completely wrong..."

Despite his exhaustion, Kitwana managed to get back on his feet and reluctantly stepped out from Makuu's embrace to go greet Ono. "Hi..."

"Kitwana? Are you alright? I thought the two-legs had you!" Ono cried out, though he was so relieved he gave the younger chick a wing hug.

"It's a long story..."

Soon after, the rest of the guard joined in, followed by Umoja and Julisha. However, both Makuu and Kitwana were far too exhausted and sore from the recent experience to tell them the whole story. Julisha only wanted to know one thing: