Chapter Twenty-Two

At the end of the day I was exhasuted. All I wanted to do is go home and take a nap in my big, fluffy bed. That's why I pissed when my mother forbid me to set foot inside the house.

I tapped my foot impatiently. "What do you mean I can't go in?"

My mother sighed. "Termites."

"Termites?" My voice reached an octave I didn't know existed. "What about all my stuff?"

She gestured to a mountain of plastic trash bags. "I stuffed as much as your clothes and things in there as possible."

"How long?" Maybe it was only a couple days. That was doable.

"A few weeks."

"A few weeks?"

My mother sighed again, finally showing her age. I could even make out a few gray hairs that weren't there before in her dark brown hair. "Yes. It's very bad. They must've been here for quite some time."

"Where the hell are we going to stay?"

She shot me a disapproving look for my language. "Marissa has nicely opened up her home."

My body stiffened. "No."

My mother was taken aback. "Why not?"

I clenched my jaw. "No. Just...no."

She threw her hands up in exasperation. "Where else are you going to stay?" That was a good question. I could stay with Kiera. Her mom would be more than happy with having me but I didn't want to put a burdan on her. She already had four little girls and Kiera to worry about and I wasn't close enough with either Payton or Morgan to ask them.

"Fine," I huffed, "I'll stay at the Taylor's."

My mother grinned. She loved when she got her way. "Perfect. I will call up Marissa right now." She started to pull out her cellphone when she noticed my gloomy expression. "Why aren't you bursting with happiness? I can't count how many times you begged me to let you stay at the Taylor's when you were little."

"Guess I'm not a little kid anymore," I bite back, dragging my toe against the shells that were our driveway.

"What happened?" my mother demanded.

"Nothing happened."

"Fine. Don't tell me. But keep in mind, whatever it is, it affects everyone."

I snapped my head up. "What do you mean?"

She took a deep breath before continuing. "I know you and Grayson, um, might have, uh... romantic feelings towards each other but--"

I shook my head but stayed silent. My mother was never good at girl talk. "Grayson and I aren't like that."

My mother raised an eyebrow. "Oh really? That's not what I heard from Marissa."

"Jason and I are together!"

Her face remained blank. "I know."

I rolled my eyes. "Then why are you asking me about Grayson?"

She reached out to put her hand on my shoulder. "Ellie, you're only a teenager. You can like more then one boy."

I ripped her hand off. "But I don't," I protested, "I only like Jason."

Lies my subconscious screamed at me lies, lies, lies!

"Uh huh. Sure."

"Mom," I groaned.

She sighed. "Just get in the car. Let's go."