What an Honor

" Varus. Son of tauntness and vigera. You have been chosen to be one of the guards who protects the unknown powers of the black fire deep within the temple of ionia. Do you wish to proceed? for if you do, there is no turning back."

" I do. i will protect it with my life"

" Very well"

Varus stood to his feet draping his bow to his side. He stood proudly in front of the village elders who were now giving him the crescent of the temple. Varus was a proud worrier indeed. Not many people from his village are summoned to guard the temple. He was pretty lucky considering he wasn't really the richest of them either. They slipped a leather rap around his head with large golden emblem attaching the two ends of the leather together. They lightly laid it upon his bare chest and fixed the emblem to where it shined brightly from the suns reflection.The crescent was nothing serious, it had the shape of an orb painted in gold and cut in half to fit nicely and comfortably apon the chest. The carvings on it were simple flames showing that we, The ionians, protect the black flames within the inner temple walls.

Once on, they stepped back and mumbled a few words before bowing to varus in unison. Varus places his hand over his heart and bowed respectfully in return. The four men dressed in black turned away and left the people in awe as they disappeared back into the temple. Varus hesitated to lift his head until he heard the sound of the temple doors closing shut.

He turned to look at his fellow villagers as they all slowly lifted their heads. He wasnt sure what to say but he had to find something, something to reassure them that everything would be ok.

" VARUSSS!!!" Varus searched the crowed of glazed over eyes for whomever called him. he placed his bow around his torso and walked off of the small mountain he had been standing on for the ceremony. " VARUS" the voice called again but this time it was closer, and it sounded more sad then before. He stood still to look for the source of the cry but all he could see was the sad faces of the villagers around him.

BAM!

He was knocked down by a powerful force. He looked up to see a watery eyed girl staring down at him with dried tears already stained on her cheeks. " VARUS WHY! WHY DID YOU ACCEPT! NOW YOU WILL BE UP THERE FOREVER WE MIGHT NOT EVER SEE YOU AGAIN!" she sobbed continuously onto his chest. all he could do was chuckle a bit, He knew he would be getting this kind of reaction from his fiancé. They were to married in a few weeks to end the feud between their two families, but snese he was summonced to become one of ionias guards the marriage would have to wait.

Varus patted her head as if to comfort her. she continued to sob silently as he spoke out load for everyone to hear. " I will , from now on , be living in the temple of ionia but that doesnt mean i would forget any of you. You are most precious to me and i will protect all of you with my last dying breath if i must." Going into the temple was a great honor to anyone who passes through its sacred doors. but most who go in arent allowed out until they are dismissed by one of the elders. Most who go in stay for years before they come out to see the light of day once more. varus' gaze dropped from his fellow people the the shaking body on top of his. he gave a faint smile to the trembling watery eyes of his fiance.

He was happy to leave in all honesty. He couldnt have been more proud of himself. he had been working hard with his trainer yatasu the legendary archer sense he was a child in order to get the position that hes in now. His father was once a guard and now he was to be one as well. He wasnt going to let his father down no matter what.

" varus.." he looked down to the teary eyed women again her white sea shelled colored eyes looked deep into his with concern. " sami it will be alright" varus said still patting her head gently. she leaned in for a kiss but was stopped by the sound of footsteps behind her.

A women dressed in a blue robe decorated with red jewels dangling from the ends slowly and painfully walked toward the couple on the ground. Varus eyes grew wide as he watched the villages oldest women walk towards him. She never left her home for anything so why was she here? he remembered helping her out every once in a while in her hut after archery practice because he knew she do much on her own. in return for his kindness she would always reward him with sweets and sometimes even teach him about medicines for future use. They eventually became the best of friends and he made going over to hut a regular thing so she wouldnt feel as lonely as before.

She stretched her arms out wide to embrace the young man on the ground. Varus stares in shock but pushed sami off of himself and helped her to her feet as he stood. The old women continued to walk toward him with arms stretched out wide. her pale white face showed happiness but varus knew on the inside she was hurting terribly. He rapped his arms around her small frail body and hugged her as tightly as he could. The thought of not seeing her everyday made his heart ache. No one in the village ever connected with her or even tried for that matter.

And after all shes done for them they continue to ignore her existence until they need something. varus thoughts were put on a hold when he heard the tired voice of the old women. it was sad and faint like she was fading away slowly. " im proud of you my boy you have protected this village many times in thr past and now the future we all have faith in you and will miss you dearly.

Varus closed his eyes and hugged her even tighter. out of everyone here she would be missed the most.

~~~~~ Now~~~~~

Knock knock*

Varus looked towards the large wooden doors that sat in front of him only a few steps away from the black flames. he readied his bow and pointed at the door waiting for whoever was beyond the door to open it. " who is it?" varus pulled back on the bow when he got no answer.

~~~ few moments before<~~

one of the eldest leaders was escorting me through the corridor of the temple heading towards a very heavy guarded door covered in chains wooden blocks metal locks and an iron gate. was that all really necessary for a flame? or was there something else to it. The elder stood in front of the door and lifted his pale white hand out of his sleeve into the air. Varus watched closley as the elder painfully closed his had and the chains, gate and wooden blocks fell off as if they were just old party decorations. " come" the elder called as he walked up to the massive doors before him. Varus followed as ordered but kept his distance. The elder turned toward him and bowed his head. " are you ready young one, to see what powers are held beyond this door?" Varus took one last look at the doors and back to the elder. without any hesitation he kneeled on one knee and bowed. " i am."