Chapter 2: Headstrong

I gave Reg a farewell and thanks then followed Osprey out of the tavern. He'd put on gloves and a scarf to combat the cold temperatures. My long jacket was enough for me. Though my eyes had begun to wander around the capitol's lights and architecture that now taunted me.
The streets were so familiar to me, but outcast. As the most valued thing to Sole's people, is faith. If that faith was betrayed, just like this failure of mine, they would be unforgiving... and here they are. For the first time in my life I feared them. I feared walking up the vendor's multicolored tents to purchase even a mere lemon. Even more than them, Lord Kubrick... that brute. He sits in that mighty castle now, most likely gorging himself on various dishes. The stone walls of that castle now loom over both the city and me, for I could never return there.
I was startled when Osprey began waving his hands in front of my face to get my attention.
    "Gah- what? What is it?" I growled.
    Osprey laughed,"I said, this is my little sister Sparrow, you can call her Spar for short."
    At first I was confused, but I soon noticed there was, in fact, a shorter girl hiding behind him peering out at me. She had similar gear that Osprey had, but it was smaller, to fit her size, and she wasn't carrying any weapons... from what I could tell anyways.
    "Uh, right. Hey." I said. Unfortunately for her, I wasn't good with kids. I was raised with far more discipline. But from the looks of the both of them, they might not even be familiar with the word. Both with their messy brown hair, and large green eyes. Dressed like they were raised to hike trails or live in tree forts.
"It's alright Spar, this is the guy we're looking for, his name is Alex Ford, remember?" Osprey said, stepping slightly aside to get Sparrow out of her hiding.
"How old?" I asked.
"She's only ten, but hey, the earlier the better. She just needs a little more practice with most of her skills- well a lot more practice." Osprey said.
I shook my head,"How could your parents allow you kids to come all the way out here for extra coin?"I asked.
But neither of them responded. They both looked at their feet, then exchanged a glance and sparrow looked upset. Osprey sighed and put his arm around his sister.
"Yeah... parents. Not really around anymore. We're on our own, and I do this job to sustain the both of us." Osprey said.
I awkwardly put my hands behind my back and cleared my throat,"I'm uh, sorry about that. Well in the meantime what's this job you were offering?" I asked, trying to change the subject.
"It's not anywhere near here. But I know a group of people who really need a strong soldier and leader."Osprey explained.
"Like what? A bunch of rogues?"
"Eh, something like that... call them freedom fighters if you want"
    "I find it strange that someone like you is asking me this after my greatest defeat." I said.
    "Well hey, I know I'm from Volton but I'm on my own side. Got my own rules. Do you want to come or not? The winter here sucks and I want to start heading back south ASAP." Said Osprey pulling his sister closer again.
    I crossed my arms stubbornly,"Hey kid, slow down. I've been devoted to this Kingdom for years. If you can imagine, I've gotten pretty attached. Don't think I don't see what you're doing here. Since I'm in a state of need you're prying on my current situation by trying to force me into an impulse decision. So my answer is no unless you give me the time I need." I said boldly.
    Osprey just blinked,"... Dude, it's just cold. We want to go back home."
    I looked down at Sparrow to see her shivering and felt a little bad for my accusation. But whether that was the truth or not I had to gaze around my homeland one more time. Even though I'd been exiled from it, I was still attached to Sole in some way. My home, my occupation, my life- all of which revolved around this place.
    "I don't know if I can commit to-"
    "You could turn back anytime, no one will judge you if you change your mind, I promise." Osprey assured.
    I glanced back at Reg's tavern and sighed,"I- No. Well, maybe, I need to grab a few things from home."
    "Ooo, sentimental items? I like it, that's practically a yes!" Osprey exclaimed in excitement.
    "Kid, quit trying to read me, I'm not a sentimental person- just follow me." I growled. With that, Osprey smiled at Sparrow and picked her up, placing her on his shoulders.
    "Hear that Spar? We get to see commander Ford's residence!"