Chapter 6: Headstrong

"... We're dead." Reg said dryly.
"We'll be fine. I don't think it's hostile" Osprey suggested.
"Kid, take a good look at that thing. Does it look like it wants to make friends?" Reg argued pointing below us and into the valley.
Just 30 feet below us, the valley's tattered landscape became increasingly dangerous. The Catalyst valley had many spires of garden materials, Many of these crystalline spires seemily defying gravity with the way they hung. But those same twisted caverns were home to something more terrifying than mere spikes. We stood above a massive creature. Standing on four legs at twelve feet tall, a Crystalline Lizard loomed below. It's entire body covered in thick, but colorful plating. It's jaw so wide it  could swallow a man in two quick, and violent bites. We stood on a ledge watching it march around the entrance to it's cave.
"Not hostile... you want to take your chances with that thing? Be my guest." I said, firmly crossing my arms.
"And it's right in our path, excellent." Reg sighed.
"Well we need to get by it regardless..." Osprey argued weakly.
"Yeah, great point," Reg said sarcastically," So to do that, let's start by just going around it like sane people!"
"I-It is really big."Sparrow stuttered.
I nodded in agreement,"Honestly, if we did end up having to fight it, it's not like we have weapons that can handle that thing's plating."
Osprey angrly grunted,"I GET it okay?!" he shouted standing to face us.
But the lizard cocked it's head upward and snarled. Making Osprey sink back down and cover his mouth. The creature made a few aggravated movements towards the ledge we stood on before going back to it's bored patrol.
"Kid..." Reg hissed.
"-I'll shut up" Osprey said promptly motioning to a path that lead around the cavern.
"That will take us longer." I mentioned.
Osprey sighed,"Yeah..." while walking towards the sloped pathway.
We followed, yet I couldn't help but notice the trail was far more hidden. I hadn't been on it before, and it looked even more poorly maintained than the rest of the trails we'd been following. Osprey seemed far more reserved than previously. But his comments were still confident despite the unknown trail. I asked him if he'd been on it before, and he shook his head 'no'. Which went and proved my hypothesis; we had no idea where we were going.
The sun had just started to get low enough in the sky to paint the clouds an orange hue. I searched amongst us and saw signs of fatigue. Aching feet was a pain we all shared now. One of the few things that we could say was "similar" between us I guess.
Absorbed in my own thoughts, I started to ignore the sound of our footsteps, and allowed my mind to wander. At that moment I heard Reg shout something I couldn't make out, and i was shoved to the ground. Startled, I landed on my shoulder and saw Reg... just as he was slashed down by what I thought was a massive claw. Dumbstruck I quickly scrambled to my feet. Towering over Reg was the same creature we'd seen only mere hours ago. From the ground I could see the creature's underside. Though at this angle, it was less armored, but still menacing. It let out a low growl and pounced towards me.
I narrowly dodged it's jaws with a dive to my right. The Lizard attempted to swipe it's claw at me, only then was I able to pull out my blade to parry the strike. Though I avoided it's terrifying claw, the strength behind the blow still made me stumble backwards.
Before I could make another move, a throwing knife zipped by me and lodged into the Lizard's side. It viciously turned to see Sparrow with her arm outstretched and a determined look. Not injured by the small blade in the slightest, it's attention was now on her and Osprey. Sparrow's brave expression melted as the creature turned towards them. 
"Get behind me!" Osprey shouted. I sensed the pride in his voice as he charged at the massive creature. His own sword collided with the top of the lizards head, and bounced off with a pathetic clang. Enraged, the Lizard rammed it's head into him and sent him tumbling backwards, it trudged toward him with it's jaw hanging slightly open.
As he tried to stand and lift his weapon back up, he cried in pain and grabbed at his arm, dropping the thin blade in the process. His eyes widened looking up at the creature, defenseless.
"Great distraction," I muttered.
    With its back turned to me, I went to strike again, this time driving my sword into its underbelly. The creature cried out and stumbled as it fell to the ground. As I lifted my weapon again however, it scurried to its feet and fled from us with a limp in its step.
    As it disappeared from view I ran over to Reg. With a groan, he attempted to sit up straight,"I- think we were followed."He said, trying to muster a joking tone.
    I sighed,"Where are you hurt?"
    He leaned left and nodded to his right shoulder. I pulled back his jacket a bit to reveal a bleeding wound.