Chapter 4: Diplomat

I stepped out of my house, I noticed Reg walking up to me. He was carrying something around belt.
    "Ford? What are you doing?" He huffed.
    I opened my mouth to respond, but no words came out. Instead I showed him the sword case I was holding and he stared at it for a moment.
    "What's wrong?" Osprey asked, following me out the door.
    "So, you're leaving, aren't you? With them." He said, pointing to Osprey and Sparrow awkwardly standing behind me.
    I sighed and attached the sword sheath to my waist. I tried to walk past him but he stepped in my way to block me,"Reg-"
    "I won't try and stop you. But why? You could always just work at my place, you don't need to leave Sole..."He said, hanging his head
    I looked down at his belt and noticed he had a large jagged knife in a cover and stepped back,"Why'd you bring that..." I asked, pointing to it.
    Reg didn't look down at it,"Because I already knew you'd do something stupid." He said grimly,"Answer me, why?"
    I saw the distress in Reg's eyes and turned to see Osprey with the same alarmed look,"There's... nothing left for me here, Reg."
    "But this is your home! You're not even going to try and start over?" Reg cried.
I paused,"How... how could I? I've been banished, Reg, I might as well give this a shot."
"What about the Colasarian Guard? What about Being on the brink of war with Volton? What about ME, Alex?" Reg shouted, gripping the handle of his knife.
    Osprey cleared his throat,"You could always... come with?"
    Reg gave a disbelieving glare at Osprey,"What?"
    Osprey put his hands up defensively,"Well it was just a suggestion, ya don't have to-"
    "Where are you going, and what are you doing?" Reg demanded.
    "W-well there's actually a lot to cover-" Osprey stuttered.
    "Where and what!?" Reg demand once more.
    "South and it's mercenary work!" Osprey spat immediately.
    Reg sighed an gave me a disappointed look,"You've spent all day with these kids and couldn't get them to tell it to you straight, and I come by and get info in two minutes? I thought you were the ex-military."
    "If some short scruffy dude came up gripping a knife and demanded something of me, I'd probably give them the info too." I argued.
    "Yeah and more so, she doesn't do much talking,"Osprey said, pointing to Sparrow innocently clinging to his leg,"So it's more like your just forcing me to tell, not her so-"
    "Shut up, kid. Alex do you really want to do that?" Reg asked.
    I didn't answer. Only blinking at him, trying to figure out how to respond without setting him off,"Reg, what do I have left here?" I asked.
    "The Kingdom of Sole, and me." Reg answered, a bit weaker than before.
    "Well I could take one of those things with me... We could come back anytime if this gig doesn't work out." I proposed.
    Reg shifted his footing,"What about... my tavern?"
    "Call it a vacation." I offered bluntly.
    Reg gave a frustrated groan. After a minute of pacing, he stopped and observed Osprey and Sparrow. They both shared the same curious but expectant looks.
    Finally looking defeated, Reg straightened his shoulders and said,"I guess... I should get another knife from the Tavern..."