The Freshman loves the Sophomore (12)

Dad and I stayed at the hospital all weekend. The only progress Bryson made was being able to come out of ICU two days after he was admitted there. Dad and I only went home to shower and change clothes. We ate cafeteria food and slept on benches in the lobby.
Monday was Christmas and our family wasn't really ready.
On Monday morning Marina let Samantha open presents while dad and I stayed at the hospital.
I completely forgot about calling Carson back. I didn't really care if he was mad. I was just worried about Bryson.
On Christmas day when Dad and I went home to freshen up, Cal walked over to our house.
"Hey, Sophie!" He called as I got out of the car.
"What are you doing here?" I asked.
Cal got up and went inside with me. "I came to say Merry Christmas."
I smiled. "That's so sweet."
He nodded. "Why do you look so sad?"
"Oh... Um..." I mumbled. "My brother's in the hospital."
Cal looked at me with a comforting smile. "I heard about that. He was hit on his bike, huh?"
"Yeah." I said as tears came to my eyes.
Cal and I sat on the couch and continued talking.
"I'm really sorry." Cal said.
I swallowed and tried to hold back my tears.
"I know what you’re going through." He added.
I looked up at him. "What do you mean?"
He nodded and looked down. "My brother was 14 when he died. I was 11 when it happened."
"Oh, gosh." I said.
Cal continued speaking. "He was walking to a friend's house and a drunk driver swerved and hit him."
I covered my mouth in shock and in sadness.
"He was in the hospital for three weeks." Cal said. "I'll never forget when his doctor told us that he was gone."
I swallowed again and gave him a sorrowful look. "That’s got to be so hard for you."
Cal sighed. "It is very hard. We were so close."
I reached towards Cal and hugged him.
"I really hope Bryson makes it." Cal whispered in my ear.
Tears fell from my eyes as Cal spoke. I couldn't help it. I felt sad for him and worried about Bryson.
Then Carson walked into the room. He just stood there and stared at Cal and I.
Cal pulled out of the hug and looked awkwardly at Carson.
"I should probably go now." Cal muttered as he got up and left the house.
I focused my eyes on Carson's face. He didn't seem happy at all.
"Why was he here?" Carson asked looking a little angry and a little confused.
I wiped away my tears and sniffled. "He came to say Merry Christmas and then we started talking about... Bryson... and how his brother died in an accident... and..." I burst into tears again.
"You can talk to me." Carson said bitterly. I didn’t know if he meant it or only said that because he wanted me to talk to him instead of Cal.
I sighed. "No, I can't. You don't know how I feel or what it's like to have a brother in the hospital."
Carson held back his anger. "Why are you so emotional, Sophie? You know Bryson is in good hands. He's getting treated. He's getting help. He's getting better."
I shook my head. "No. He might die. Bryson has the possibility of dying! Even his doctor told us that." I paused and caught my breath. "You don't understand, Carson."
"I do understand." Carson said sternly.
I fell back on the couch and cried some more. “Carson, just accept it. You can’t-“
“Sophie.” Carson stopped me. “Talk to me and maybe I will understand.”
I started crying again. I just couldn’t help it. Carson was stressing me out.
All Carson did was wait for me to say something first.
I sat up a few minutes after I composed myself again. "I don't want to talk right now. I'm sorry. I can't. I'm too stressed."
Carson rolled his eyes and stormed out of my house.
I lied on the couch with a pillow over my head and cried some more- cried about everything. It felt like things were finally falling apart.