Cheoeum (처음)

You know, I don't think people give Free! enough credit

Maybe I've overanalyzed it- that's probably the case- but there's more to the characters than the anime itself lets on. It's not about 'gay' characters, swimming, or muscles.

It's about high school kids that are struggling to find themselves. They aren't sure who they are yet, or what they want to do. Through their experiences, and their friends, they each go their own ways... but they will always be connected.

[Season 2 spoilers start]

I think that's why I got so choked up the last episode of Season 2. You see Haru, who has suffered through emotional turmoil since middle school, finally come to terms with who he was meant to be. Makoto realizes that he can't hold on to Haru forever, and finds what he truly enjoys. Rin reaches inner peace, and lets go of all the misgivings, doubts, and mental obstacles he's had in his path. And Sousuke... well...

He hasn't found his path yet- which is precisely what I found so touching about the last episode. Sousuke has been through a lot, much more than the other three. He probably is still doubting himself and what he can do with his injured shoulder. However, I'm confident he'll find a way to manage, since his character proves him to be a person that will overcome anything with just his mental strength.

[Season 2 spoilers end]

I've been thinking about why each character is so important to the series ever since I started watching the anime two years ago. In that time, I've come up with a series of interesting analyses that utilizes evidence found in the anime, light novels, drama CDs and translations.. I've found that every high school kid will relate to at least one of the characters in a few different ways, myself included.

This book of one-shots isn't meant to be superficial. There will be no OCs or romance in any of the chapters. I want each story to leave you thinking, or at least widen your perspective for each of the characters featured.

I've taken great care in each chapter, sourcing information from everything Free! related I can possibly find, and twisting it all into a story I hope you will enjoy. There is a reason this book is called Meraki, which is Greek for "doing something with soul, creativity, or love; when you leave a piece of yourself in your work." In between each one shot will be analyses, theories, and interesting tidbits of information.

I take my own competitive swimming and high school experiences and intertwine them with the characters, giving them a new layer of personality and charm.

At the conclusion of this book, my goal is to deepen your appreciation for Free and open your eyes to the near-masterpiece that KyotoAnimation has created.

Do me a favor and look beyond the superficial layer that is associated with this anime. Dig a little deeper, and you'll be surprised at what you find.

네가 그걸 즐겼으면 좋겠어!

I am so grateful for your support and hope you enjoy! :)