•3•

WHITNEY'S POV

"Hey, mom."

Mom was lying on the couch when I got home.

I guess Mom can hear the dejection in my voice, because she replies, "Hey, honey. I'm so sorry you can't go to the meet. Look, I know you were really really looking forward to it."

I shrug. "If it will help you get better faster, I guess its fine."

++++++++

"Whitney, please come downstairs!" Dad calls.

"Coming!" I call. Then I turn to Blakely. "Hey, sorry it's your turn. I'll finish when I come back up."

"Ok."

I put my deck of cards down on the carpet floor and hurry down the stairs. I'm not gonna lie, it's more relaxing to play a game with your sister than go to afternoon practice.

Dad puts down the phone and turns to me. "Do you really want to go to the meet?"

I give him a funny look, and then my heart skips a beat. "Of course."

"Well, Delaney's mom just said she can stop by and pick you up. Since it's only a one day meet, they'll take care of you and bring you back by Sunday."

I breath a sigh of relief. "Are you sure you're ok with it?"

He nods.

"Then yes!!" I give him a big hug and run upstairs to finish packing my stuff. "Thank God!!

PERREY'S POV

The pain was really bad last night again. I can't let that phych me out. I look into the mirror of our hotel room and take one last look at the project I've been working on for the past 30 mins: my meet hair. I couldn't decide if I wanted my hair in a plain ponytail or a fancy braid into the ponytail...eventually I decided on a hairstyle like what Shawn Johnson wore one time that I died over when I saw it:

eventually I decided on a hairstyle like what Shawn Johnson wore one time that I died over when I saw it:

It's so simple, yet so pretty. I curled the ponytail, and then hairsprayed so it would stay.

Dad knocks on the door. "You done yet? You've been in there for 12 hours."

I open the door. "Do you like my hair?"

He nods in approval. "Nice. Now move over. I need to shower if you want us to get out of here on time."

I check my gym bag for the 1000th time today. Water bottle. Grips. Toe tape. Extra hair things. Extra leotard. A bunch of other stuff is crammed in there, but I have the basics. I open my jacket and look at my leotard.

Sadie, on her phone, lying in bed stops and stares at it

"Dang, girl, I love that leotard."

"Thanks. I would love you if you would get your lazy butt out of bed and actually got changed."

"Ok, ok, I'm getting up." She crawls out of bed reluctantly.

I can't wait for today. I feel confident and prepared and oddly calm. I'm so pumped.

WHITNEYS POV

Yesterday

"She's here!!" I hear Blakely screech, and I hurry downstairs.

"Ok, you don't need to scream, gosh."

Blakely laughs. "Sorryyyyy. Good luck!!"

Dad hurries out of the kitchen with my vlog camera. "Whitney, where are you going?"

"The American Cup. But cuz mom is sick, Delaney's parents are taking me. I'm gonna vlog, though." I reply, smiling at the camera.

I quickly kiss dad and Blakely goodbye, and holler a goodbye to the rest of my siblings and Mom, grab the camera and my meet bag, and run out the door.

"Hey Whittie!" Delaney salutes me as I climb into the back seat.

"Hiya. What's up? You ready?" I reply, giving her a high five.

"Ready as I'll ever be," she replies, laughing.