•9•

WHITNEY'S POV

Dad suggested that I sit down in front of the camera and explain everything that's going on right now. I reluctantly agreed, though it's gonna be hard.

I pull my hair out of a ponytail and run a brush through it quickly. Then I toss the brush quickly back into my almost-fully-packed suitcase. We leave tomorrow at 5 am.

Picking up my vlog camera, I set it up on my windowsill, then call out of my bedroom door, "DON'T COME IN HERE ANYMORE, I'M RECORDING!!" Nervously, I sit down on the carpeted floor in front of the camera and then hit record.

"Hey, guys, it's Whitney." I force a smile and then stop. Where do I even start? So much has happened, and I don't even know if I'll get through this video without crying. This whole situation has been super tough on everyone, not just me. I take a deep breath and then start again.

"...so...a lot has happened since the American Cup. If you remember, I went by myself...I mean, Delaney's family took me, because my mom was really sick. And you all were wondering what kind of sickness it was, because my mom almost always comes with us."

I look away from the camera for a second, and then continue. "We recently got the results, and...she..." Sighing, I pause.

"She has Stage 3 breast cancer. And...it's been super hard on all of us, but we're grateful to God that it's not Stage 4. So that means that she still has a chance to get the tumor removed and hopefully stop the cancer from spreading anymore. We'd appreciate prayers." I unconsciously scratch my nose, and then take another deep breath. "Thanks for all your support already. We're going to need as much as we can get in the months ahead, because it's already been really rough. So...um...anyways, how this affects you guys is..." Clearing my throat, I shift in my seated position.

"My mom is going to start her chemotherapy in a really great hospital in Minnesota on Monday, which is probably when you guys are going to see this video. Sterling and I are going to come with her, and that means that I won't have as much time to do gymnastics...or no time at all. Dad's contacting some gyms up there to see if I can take some classes while I'm there. We don't know how often I'll get to train, if at all, or how good the coaching is gonna be up there. I'm going to try to train whenever I can, and I'm definitely not going to quit. Hopefully, Mom will get better soon, and we can get back to...normal-"

I break off, my voice getting caught in my throat. Don't cry, don't cry. After taking a couple slow breaths to compose myself, I start talking again.

"It's really been hard on us, not just for my mom, or me, but for our entire family. We're managing though. Please keep us in your prayers...and please don't leave any comments about how often I'm going to be training...believe me, I don't want for this to happen, but it's ultimately the best for my mom. I feel like I'm kind of being selfish if I complain about it. I care about my mom, and family should come before gymnastics. I hope that makes sense. Anyways, I think I'll be vlogging while I'm there, and giving updates. Sterling will try to film some of the time I'm training if he can, and...thanks again for your support. I love you guys, and I'll see you next time."

I end unenthusiastically, and shut off the camera. Then I sit there on the floor, thinking.