Chapter 9

Jackson, Gray notices, isn't in homeroom. 

Maybe he's just running late.

Gray settles into her seat, waiting for the Ms. Clarke to make any necessary announcements before the bell to first period rings.

"Alright," Ms. Clarke starts, "Please, listen up." 

Gray notices Ms. Clarke isn't as peppy as usual, and braces herself for the news she's been dreading since last night.

"Jessica McCormish didn't make it home last night, her car was found abandoned this morning out on Drestle Lane. The police are asking for anyone who may have seen her, or may know her whereabouts to please come forward." Ms. Clarke's voice is overpowered by the voices of the classmates. Gray, trying to ignore the theories her classmates start coming up, focuses on the clock. Watching the second hand tic by, focusing on the noise.

Tic "Probably just spent the night at a friends" tock  "maybe she ran away" tic "lost her mind like her dad" tock "crazy runs in the family" tic  "slut" tock "better off dea-" That last sentence thankfully cut off by the bell.

Gray spent the rest of the morning dodging one theory after another until gym class. Gray changes into her gym clothes and makes her way into the gymnasium. Still no Jackson. She waits, watching the door as the late bell goes off. The teacher starts separating them into teams, its the last day of softball as they will start soccer on Monday. Gray is waiting to be sorted when she sees Jackson enter the room.

"You're late." Was all the teacher says as Jackson makes his way over to them. 

Gray notices that he's avoiding her gaze and waits till they start making their way outside before she walks over to him.

"Oh," Gray gasps, noticing a gash across his left eye, "What happened to you?"

"GRAY ASHER TO THE PRINCIPLES OFFICE, GRAY ASHER TO THE PRINCIPALS OFFICE. THANK YOU"

"You better go." Jackson said as he turned to make his way towards the ball diamond.

Reluctantly, Gray turns around and heads back inside.

"I was paged?" Gray tells the secretary as she enters the office, still in her gym clothes. "Gray Asher"

"I'll let them know you're here. Have a seat please."

Them?

Gray grabs a seat in one of the padded waiting room chairs while she watches the secretary know on the principals door. The door opens revealing the principal, two police officers, and... Jessica?

A mix of relief and confusion floods her body, Gray stands ready to greet her friend as Jessica turns her eyes to Gray. The secretary motions Gray over into the door. With a big smile on her face Gray takes a few steps forward, the eyes of the principal and the police officers now on her as she approaches. Her smile starts fading the closer she gets the door. Thats not Jessica. 

From a distance the resemblance is uncanny, but the closer Gray got the more she could see they were not the same. Grays smile has vanished by the time she steps inside the room, the secretary closing the door behind her. Keeping her eyes on Jessica's older sister.

"Ms. Asher," the principal starts, "This is officer White and officer Drake, they just have a few questions for you. Please, sit." 

"Am I in trouble?" Gray asks, sitting in one of the two empty chairs.

"We just have a few questions regarding the disappearance of Jessica McCormish. We understand you were with her last night is that correct?"

Gray looks over at the two officers. They appeared to be close in age, late 20's maybe early 30's. They looked bigger that they actually were thanks to the cramped office and the police boots they were wearing, But if Gray had to guess she would say one was probably about 6' while the other would be closer to her height if not a little shorter. It was the shorter one that asked the questions.