Chapter 7 : He tells me the story

"Morning Sunshine!" I said to myself as saw my first ray of sunshine for today. Ah, my first morning in New York. While arranging and waking up my internal body, I scanned my surroundings. White pristine wall wrap the then barren and cemented walls. I could really get use to this but never get tired, I thought.

My eyes rest on my bedside table where there lay two things : a battered black and yellow alarm clock and the book I failed to finish yesterday.

Speaking of yesterday . . . Will I SEE HIM today? I hope so. He still needs to tell me that story and if I want to hear it soon, I better go and get ready.

An hour and a half later, I'm all dressed to leave for the Caffe . . . our meeting place, right? I'm hungry and I really missed the smell of newly toasted bread, ready to be smeared with lush, tasty butter, combined with the aroma of rich creamy coffee. Heaven.

I made my way to Caffe Puro, a small shop in the next corner. Once, I entered, I took a deep breath and inhaled the rich scent around this place. Heaven, I thought of once again. I ordered quickly to satisfy my raging empty stomach.

I keep cheking my clock for the time.

8:05 A.m

8:24 a.m.

8:46 am.

9:00 am

"WERE THE HECK IS HUNTER?" I said to myself, irritated. And then it hit me :

FLASHBACK (yesterday)

"Hey, it's getting late . . . I'd better go. Thanks for your time." He said as he stood up and walked towards the door.

"Wait, you haven't told me the story of the ballet show." I countered. I don't want him to leave, not yet.

"We still have tomorrow, and the next day, and the next.. ."

"I heard those lines already. Will I see you tomorrow?" I asked as I stand by beside him.

"Yes. Good night." He smiled at me.

"Good night."

"Yeah."

PRESENT

Dumb Natalie, we haven't set an appointment together. I didn't ask for his phone number, either. I lightly punched my head for being so stupid and insensible. Dumb, Moron, Monkey, I lower my head in self pity.

"Hey, sweetypie." A voice said.

I shot him a quick irritated glare. Who the hell . . . "HUNTER!" I shouted. Several people threw looks at me, some amused, some. . .not so amused.

"Shush," Hunter said. "I thought you might be here."

"How?" I asked as he grabbed a piece of buttered toast.

"Small world. Haha..." Crunch.

"Small world, yeah right." I said, annoyed.

"Kidding, I work here! I told you I have a lot of part time jobs other than pizza delivery guy. It was a coincidence that you walked in here."

"Then why are you late?"

"I work at 9: 00 am. I entered at 8:50 and that's when I saw you; but, I still have to check in before I do something so I won't be 'late' in terms."

"Oh." I said.

"I. . . better save your number." He smiled at me. He reached out his cellphone to me ( a Blackberry 9300 ). I typed in my number in record time.