Chapter IX - One Team

Echo and Lilly spent more time together than with their own teams. Even though the others had more than once offered to study with them, they both knew that they would only weigh them down, and that wasn't something either was willing to do. Lilly simply didn't have the heart and Echo had a modicum of pride left in her.

"Okay," Qrow said to his class. "I know you guys are eager to get your quizzes, but it's the end of the second week already and it's time to announce your class's pick for president. By a landslide, your year's class president is Xanthus Xenon."

Applause sounded throughout the classroom. Xanthus stood up and bowed.

"I swear, by my honor, that I will do my best as your representative!" he said to the class, inciting more cheering from the students.

Perseus's campaign had been a great success, boosting not only Xanthus's popularity among their class of thirty-two, the smallest Beacon had ever seen, but even among the upperclassmen. Of course, Perseus himself did not go away from the campaign empty-handed. His own popularity jumped through the roof after his feat. The Jupiter name was now just as well-known as the Schnee name, perhaps even more so given their current rise to economic power.

"It was all thanks to you, my good friend," Xanthus said to Perseus as he sat back down.

"All I did was spread information about you," Perseus replied. "You won of your own merit."

"Hey, congratulations, man," another student approached their group.

Xanthus looked up over his glasses to see Paolo Mancini, leader of Team PDTR. In the two weeks since school began, this team was one of the few among the first-year students to rival the performance of Team APEX. True to their name, all four members certainly acted like predators on the battlefield. They were well-mannered enough, but each and every single member had ambition like no other, but despite that fact, they were incredible teammates. Had it not been for Team APEX's mostly stellar grades, Team PDTR could easily usurp the top spot from them.

"I appreciate the kind words, Paolo," Xanthus said, standing up to shake his hand.

"Hey, so we'll see you guys on Monday in Forever Fall, right?" said Demetri, their second-in-command.

"You guys are in the same group?" Athena said, standing beside Xanthus to back him up.

"It's on the class bulletin," said Theo, the third member of Team PDTR. "They just stuck us with Team LILY, Team ORNJ, and you guys. I guess they figure the best should be around the best."

"Although Team ORNJ being part of the 'best' is stretching it," said Raiden, the last member of the team.

"That's a bit unnecessary," Athena said.

"And dickish," Perseus added.

"He's just saying the truth," Paolo said. "Anyway, good luck on your quizzes."

They watched as Team PDTR returned to their desks.

"Too bad they aren't called Team CUNT," Perseus said, making Echo chuckle to herself.

"Thank you," Xanthus said to Athena and Perseus. "I appreciate you coming to my aid."

"That's what teammates are for, right?" Athena said.

"Perseus, would you mind being my VP? I'd like to ask Athena, but she has her hands full with our team already."

"Oh, so I'm your second choice?" Perseus said, to which Xanthus reddened without replying. "I'm just bustin' your balls, man. I'll be your second, brother."