Chapter XII - The Will to Fight

The week went by quickly and Thursday's unsupervised patrol was already upon them. Penny and Qrow had been coordinating this special test all week long and, despite being only the third week of classes, it seemed Team LILY and APEX would be up to the task.

"I don't like using civilians for this," Penny said.

"Well, the stakes have to be real," Qrow said. "Your idea to guard security nodes was safer, but this way we can test their ability to respond to a real crisis."

"And what if something goes wrong?"

"That's why you and I are on standby."

She sighed heavily. "I still don't like this. We should at least get Dr. Oobleck to join us in case things go sideways."

"He's in the middle of teaching a class."

"Can't we get someone in on this?"

"Penny, you and I are experts at what we do. We'll be enough to clean up any mess that might happen."

She shook her head. "Whatever."

"Hey, I'm the one taking responsibility for anything that happens out there."

"That's not the point. I don't care who's responsible. I would like to avoid crappy situations altogether."

"You worry too much. What happened to the old you, anyway?"

"She grew up."

* * * * *

"This sector is clear," Leon said into his radio.

"Clear on our end," Athena replied.

"Copy. We'll continue on our route until we meet at the designated rendezvous location."

Ingrid returned to the group.

"Anything?" Lilly asked her.

"Nope," she said. "All clear up ahead."

"That's a relief."

"Still," Leon said. "Kinda makes for a boring patrol."

"Boring is good," Yuan said. "It means none of us are at risk of dying."

Ingrid and Lilly broke away from Leon and Yuan to cover more ground. When they were outside of earshot, Ingrid figured it was the best time to consult with her partner.

"Hey, are you okay?" she asked.

"Huh?" Lilly said. "What do you mean?"

"I mean from the way you've been acting all week. You're not gonna go run off and try taking on a group of Grimm by yourself again, are you?"

"You think I'm acting stupid?"

"Not stupid. Desperate."

She didn't reply.

"Lilly, you're our team leader. You don't have to prove yourself to anyone. We already look up to you."

"What is it about me that's even worth looking up to?"

"Everything. Your determination, your innate strength, that...smile of yours."

Lilly wasn't wearing that smile today.

"You see? You literally are the spirit of this team. It's hard for the rest of us to smile when you're not smiling."

"Is that all I'm good for? My smile?"

"No, and even if that were the case, the effect you have on the team is integral to our performance."

"Look, just..." she trailed off. "The first Grimm we run into, I'm taking care of it, okay?"