Chapter XXXVI - A Knight's Oath

The goodbyes were bittersweet. The month of the Vytal Festival had brought together families and friends, but the time for gathering had come and gone and everyone returned to their homes.

"I'm gonna miss you," Lilly said, holding her mother tightly.

"Me, too, darling," Weiss said, returning her daughter's embrace.

Lilly pulled away. "Hey, hey, wait, I never got to ask you."

"What is it?"

"That super big sword you fought in the exhibition match with, was that really yours?"

She chuckled. "Yes, that is a sword I had William Hillphire forge for me a number of years back."

"Aww! How come I never saw it?"

"Because it's been with him all this time. He delivered it to me personally after their demonstration during the parade."

"Ohh, I see. So, I guess you won't be needing this anymore?" She held up Myrtenaster.

"I handed that to you for a reason, Lilly. It's your turn to bear it."

Lilly smiled at her mother. "I'll take good care of it!"

"I know." She kissed her on the forehead before heading up the ramp. "You make sure to bring your friends to the house for winter break, okay?"

"Okay!" She waved to her mother and to her aunt and cousin. "Congrats on the win, Ivory!"

Ivory acknowledged her cousin, but she didn't reply. Not verbally, anyway. She was still irritated at how she had won the final match, but at the same time she realized that perhaps it wasn't that important at all. Her own cousin had lost in the first match of the tournament and yet she was probably the happiest person here.

Lilly waved to all three of her family members as the shuttle closed its doors and lifted off to join the rest of the fleet to Atlas.

* * * * *

"Don't forget to eat well!" Nora said, giving her son a hug.

"Mom, I know," he said.

"He's the one who cooks for us," Ingrid said.

"Ohh!" Nora squealed. "He cooks for you?"

Ingrid found herself reddening. "Yes, he does."

"He got that from his father! You know how the saying goes! The quickest way to a girl's heart is through her stomach!"

"Mom, please," Yuan groaned.

"Take care of yourself, son," Ren said, embracing him.

"I will, dad. And there's nothing to worry about. We all look after each other."

"That's what I was waiting to hear."

"Oh, my family's about to leave, too," Ingrid said, watching as her younger siblings ran around.

"Aww!" Leon said, joining them. "My favorite litter is going away."

"I'm gonna miss you!" Fiona yelled, leaping into his arms. "Nibble on my ears again, please?"

Leon chuckled before doing just that, making her giggle.

"Oh, thank god she enjoys that shit," Ingrid said. "Hey, Fi. You're attending Beacon Academy this year, right?"

"Psh," Fiona said. "I'm gonna be in the first batch ever at Instinct Academy."

"Dammit."

"Why?"