Chapter 7

I woke in the morning aroused by thoughts of the coming day that would begin with breakfast shared with Tobias. I dressed with only self conscious thoughts of whether or not my usual attire would please him. Come time for me to depart I only thought of him and what I had learned about him as I was an initiate. It brought a lightness to my gait as I strolled to breakfast.

   While I walked, someone fell into step with me. The presence of this tall figure was known at an instant. From the warmth I felt when his arm brushed mine I realized it was Tobias. I turned to see the corners of his mouth quirk up.

"Good morning." I greeted. He looked at me for a moment before returning the gesture.

"Good morning to you, too, Tris." He said. "Did you sleep well?"

"Very well, actually." I said. "My dreams were sweet."

"As were mine." He gave me a knowing smile that made me question if he had dreamed of me as I had dreamed of him. Before I could start such a conversation, we reached the dining hall. As I entered, I imagined my step inside represented more then just entering this room, but entering a relationship that would hopefully blossom into something larger. The size of what that something might be frightened me.

   We sat across from Zeke, Shauna, and the happy engaged couple--Christina and Will. It was not only them that seemed to be together, but our entire table was filled with budding couples. Zeke and Shauna were seated close together, close enough that there arms brushed whenever one turned to the other to say something that made both of them smile. Marlene and Uriah, who sat on the same side as Tobias and I, were absorbed in a conversation that Marlene had commenced when she had suddenly joined us. Lynn, who usually sat with us, was the only one that was not here.

   Something was surely in the air because Tobias took my hand in his as we ate. Leaving both of us to eat with one hand, him with his left, but Tobias only made a few mistakes. It was unlike him to jeopardize the secrecy of our relationship when all our friends were around us. I inquired his reasons for this as our friends were distracted.

"We don't have to hide this anymore." He said. "You're older."

   I wanted to tell them that he was older, too. That he was twenty while I was only eighteen. But my chance to tell him was taken by Zeke speaking.

"You two seem very cozy."

   I looked toward him and found that he had directed the attention of our entire table to us. The pressure of their gazes prevented me from replying. Luckily, Tobias seemed fine.

"Why do you say that?"

"For one, you two almost never sit together." Zeke said. "And you're holding hands under the table."

   Uriah was the only one not to take Zeke's word for it since he looked under the table and gasped, "They are!"

"Care to explain?" Christina asked, raising her eyebrows. Her question was obviously for me, but I could not speak. Tobias noticed this and spoke for me.

"We're simply enjoying breakfast together."

"We can see that, but how did you guys end up together?" Uriah said.

"I asked Tris if she would join me for breakfast." Tobias said, annoyed with their questions about his private affairs. Much to his chagrin, the questions continued. Though, we were saved when it was time for the initiates to leave for training training, which meant the instructors, as well. Tobias and I split from our group and walked toward the training room. Max was there when we arrived. He was speaking with the initiates.

   Upon seeing us he broke away from the transfers and headed for us.

"You're needed in the Abnegation sector." He informed me as he passed by. "Other dauntless will meet you there."

   I glanced at Tobias, seeing if he had heard the order. He gave me a nod as confirmation.

"I'll see you after training." I said to him as I turned away. He grabbed my arm before I could take a step. I shifted my gaze to him, but our lips met in the middle. I didn't hear the whispers that spread through the group of initiates or the obedient voice in my head that commanded me to pull away, to do my job; I could only feel his lips on mine, his hand that still gripped my arm, and the heat that engulfed me.

   We pulled away, him lingering a little.

"I'll see you later." He said at last, allowing me to leave.

   I hoped my trip would be quick.