6

"Welcome back guys!" Wendy greeted as the three of us walked through the entrance of the guild hall. I was currently carrying a sleeping Juvia and dragging a sleeping Natsu, my own eyes were ready to close. I grunted and set Juvia down on a chair and Natsu on a table. I made my way back towards the guild doors. "If they wake up, tell them I went home," I said, Wendy only staring at my back as I left the building.

•••

I did not sleep. I couldn't because too much was on my mind. Juvia asking if I loved her ruined my vibe. But I didn't know what to say, so I said the first thing that came across my mind. I stared at the ceiling until the sun came up. I was tired, but I didn't feel like sleeping. I climbed out of bed and stretched my arms above my head. I forced myself to walk to my bathroom.

I took a quick shower, threw on a random set of clothes, and made my way to the guild hall, realizing that Juvia wasn't home halfway there. I shrugged to myself, sighing as my feet crunched onto the snow with every step.

The guild came in view, and I reached for the door. I instantly regretted my decision, because I took one step inside when an angry Mirajane instantly made eye contact with me. I froze in my spot as she appeared in place right in front of me.

"Gray, would you please do the dishes for me?" Mira asked with a kind voice, her lips curled into one of the fakest smiles I've ever seen in my entire life. I gulped, nodding slowly as I was pushed behind the counter and in front of the sink. Mira walked into the kitchen, leaving me on dish duty, though my eyes widened in realization that I was most likely going to be stuck here all day.

The dishes were piled high all the way to the ceiling, and that told me that pulling one dish from the bottom will cause all of the dishes on top of it fall to the ground and shatter. And I do not want to do anything that will make the she-devil even more furious.

I betted on making stairs for reaching the top, but I didn't feel like walking up and down stairs at the moment. I searched the area until my eyes ran across a small wooden step stool that was hidden in the corner of the bar. A smirk ran across my lips as I made my way towards it.

I carried it back to the sink and climbed up onto it, reaching to the top of the stack and began washing each dish. The stack grew lower and lower, and soon enough I didn't need the stool anymore.

I kicked it aside and continued washing. Halfway down the stack, I was interrupted by Lucy.

"Hey Gray."

"Hey Lucy."

The blonde took a seat on one of the bar stools, pulling out her set of keys and studied them carefully. A sigh came out of her mouth as she counted her nine keys, placing them onto the counter.

"Having fun there?" she asked with a small laugh in her voice. She leaned against her hands with her elbows resting on the counter.

"No. I don't know why Mira is making me do this."

Lucy shook her head, staring down at the counter tops as Mirajane walked out of the kitchen. I gave her a small smile, and she scowled at me. But when Lucy smiled at her, Mira returned a smile.

You have got to be kidding me.

Before Mira left the bar, I asked, "Did I do something to you?" Lucy's eyes widened as Mirajane froze in her place. She stood still, and a quick shiver ran up my spine. I regretted asking that.

"No, I just need someone to do the dishes for me," Mira replied, not even looking at me. But I noticed the slight shakiness in her voice, and it made me raise an eyebrow.

"Then why couldn't Lisanna do it?" I asked. Both Lucy and I took a quick look around the guild hall, searching where Lisanna might be.She was currently sitting at a table with her brother, laughing along with Evergreen and a slightly blushing Juvia. So that's where she was all along.

"I can't make my sister do dishes. She did them the whole time you were on your job."

Yeah, that was only for a day. I sighed, turned around and let go of the subject. I began scrubbing the dishes again until Mira left the bar. But that was only when the guild doors opened, revealing a red-eyed Natsu. He looked terrible. His hair was even more wild than ever. His cheeks were puffy and pink. He had bags under his eyes.

It made me feel horrible. I clenched my fists tightly. Was he . . . did he cry?

"Natsu! What's wrong?" Lucy asked as she jumped out of her seat and ran across the room. She squeezed Natsu tightly, but Natsu didn't return it. He stood like a stone in front of the door. A few snowflakes fell in after him, but Mirajane closed the doors. She grabbed onto both Natsu and Lucy, pulling the two across the guild hall, tapping Erza's shoulder along the way. Erza quickly followed the three into the basement.

My eyes widened at the sight, as did a few others, but they went back to what they were doing instantly. I shook my head and went back to washing the dishes.

I didn't even use a sponge. I rinsed each dish until they at least looked like they were clean, then I placed them into the rack. The same cycle went on for a while, or at least until Natsu, Mira, Lucy, and Erza came out of the basement.

Natsu didn't look so bad now. He just had bags under his eyes. Maybe Lucy fixed up his hair for him? Erza looked more serious than ever, Lucy looked upset, and Mira looked like Erza.

Mira's eyes came across mine, making me shiver with fear. I instantly went back to washing the rest of the dishes. I swear, I have never washed anything that fast in my entire life.

Once I finished the large stack, I dried off my hands and walked over towards Natsu. He didn't seem like his usual self at all, his head hung low, his spiky hair was falling in his face, and his tan skin was lighter than usual. The rosette looked so vulnerable. "Hey Natsu," I said quietly. I sat down next to him. Natsu didn't look at me. He kept staring down at the table. The large piece of wood must've been very interesting to him.

"Are you-"

"Leave me alone, Gray." His tone was so sharp and monotonous. My eyes widened at his comment, making my heart sink. My whole world felt like it was falling apart, but I have no idea what I did to make the rosette feel this way. My stomach dropped as he looked up at me, like the cheerfulness in his eyes were gone. My mouth opened, the feeling that I wanted to say something when I actually couldn't. I looked around the guild hall for a possible escape.

So, I ran out the guild doors.