Seven

Seven Days Until an Obsession Grows

Danzo searched the intel stacked on his desk and noted nothing of immediate worry. There was the occasional skirmish on the borders, the regular update on the state of the council and the Hokage, a handful of rogue ninja spottings, and no incidents that could lead to an international affair.

'A pity,' he thought. Several chances for Hiruzen to make himself the fool in front of his people, and all of them missed.

He eyed another particular pile of folders on the corner of his desk—placed there in the morning by one of his members and linked through from Hiruzen himself. They were the files of all the approved genin participants and, as he flipped through them, his lip didn't curl up in disgust until he neared the end.

Aburame Shino. Inuzuka Kiba. Sakura.

"You old fool," he hissed to himself. "Your constant stream of missions qualified them, not hindered them!"

He slammed the files onto the wooden surface and stood so quickly his chair nearly toppled behind him. Danzo snatched his cane from its lean against the wall behind him and walked out of his office.

He was immediately flanked by the taller, stockier-built operative Monkey and junior operative Lion.

"Report," he demanded as they weaved through the dreary corridors.

"A greater concentration of Sunagakure participants have entered the Chuunin Exams this year. It is a slight cause for concern as it is a sudden change in the pattern recorded over the last ten years," Monkey informs. He and Lion, though different heights and hefting different gaits, mirror each other's steps and stay exactly three paces behind Danzo. "The same issue lies with the level of Otogakure participation. Numbers of over three times the predicted amount have been noted. Oral account completed."

Lion picked up where the other left off without a second to spare. "There have been increased sightings of Orochimaru over the last three and a half months. No threat has been confirmed, but investigations are still underway. Oral account completed."

Danzo's mind stalled slightly at the thought of Orochimaru interrupting the exams. Surely that man would turn the village on its head one way or another, and—he had to admit—doing something along that vein during what could be the busiest and most politically fragile time was certainly... opportune. It was nothing he wished on his village, but that man's cunning was something to be reckoned with. And though he wasn't sure of what to make of Suna's sudden surge of competitors, it was nothing he currently cared for. Especially not with the current happenings of the ridiculously annoying Team Eight and the ridiculously incompetent Third Hokage.

"Reports," he snapped. Two stacks of paper appeared at the same time on both his sides and his free hand snatched them up. He knew they contained the important, in-depth details of the mission he assigned Monkey and Lion and it was weeks upon weeks of tireless information gathering, yet the gleam in his eyes was bright as they combust in his grip and their ashes trail along the concrete floor.

Fire etches deep cut shadows in porcelain masks, accentuating darkness under eye slits and hollowed out cheeks.

"There is no Orochimaru, no surge or participants, no cause for worry. You will not inform others of your findings and you will not bring it up with your associates."

"Order received. Compliance understood."

"—Order received. Compliance understood."

Lion's delayed response was an almost unnoticeable slip, but Danzo didn't do almost. When he suddenly stopped and the accompanying ROOT members followed suit, their heels tapping together and their arms crossed behind their backs, he turned to Lion.