SIXTY THREE

REAL LIFE

THE GRINNING PAIR SAT HUDDLED CLOSER THAN NECESSARY TOGETHER ON A WOODEN BENCH, WARMED BY THE BEAMING SUN. Winnie stared down at her feet which scuffed the floor as she pulled them back and forth rhythmically. Her hand was centimetres from Wyatt's, their fingers softly touching.

"I still can't believe you came all the way here" Winnie breathed with a giggle, looking up from her shoes and into Wyatt's happy eyes which had turned to face her.

"Well you weren't answering my messages" Wyatt laughed, bumping his shoulder against Winnie's bare one, "And I'm such a good friend"

"You're so extra. But I do love surprises" Winnie's eyes were soft as she admired the boy, a natural smile on her lips. But both her eyes and smile fell away when he spoke.

"Winnie, we need to talk about it" He whispered, his eyes also shifting to his shoes which were scuffed at the toe and worn down by use.

She knew exactly what he was talking about; and from the look that washed over her face he knew too.

"I-um" Winnie stuttered, she had no clue what to say. It could ruin everything, and that was what she was scared of in the beginning, when she first realised what the emotion that had bundled in her stomach meant whenever she thought about the curly haired boy. But she knew she meant it and she couldn't deny it.

"But I meant it. I meant to send that message to Sophia. But I did mean it Wyatt" She tore her brown eyes from the concrete ground and inhaled deeply, "I really am falling for you"

He was shocked, all the hitched breath stolen from his body and his heart hammered so hard that the blood echoed in his ears, blurring the sounds of the rides and laughter. He had seen the message but still he didn't believe it. In fact he had seen the message approximately one hundred and five times. He had reread it numerous times; but not enough.

The sigh was sharp and it pained her chest as she stared distantly at a spot of squashed pink candyfloss that was now part of the floor, the sticky darkness shining in the sunlight. She was uncomfortable and frightened, but she made herself press on as she shifted around on the warm bench, even if it was just a bunch of breathless rambling.

"I really am. And it's scary. And I was scared I'd lose you, and you're my best friend and you mean everything to me. And I've never felt like this before. And I have no friends at home. Like none. And I was confused because of how I felt and I've only ever really fancied Andy Samberg and a girl in my class when I was ten. But this isn't like that. I really really like you, Wyatt. Like a lot. Like love a lot"

Wyatt was completely speechless. It had been the moment he had been waiting for but it still manage to shatter him and complete him at the same time. He grabbed hold of her warm hand, that had been resting temptingly beside his, in his own and shot her the realist, happiest smile when she glanced up at him with wary eyes, jolted by the sudden action.

"Don't be scared, Winnie you could never lose me. Like ever. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't like you from the minute the losers club stalked you on Instagram" They both let out a light-hearted giggle, their hands tightening and Winnie's shoulders suddenly becoming lighter. "I guess I was confused too. And I guess I should have said this a long long time ago. But I really really like you too, Winnie. Like a lot. Like love a lot. I mean I did come all this way, and it wasn't just for Moana merch. So even if we are basically children in teenage bodies, would you my honey bear, Winnie Bearlo be my girlfriend?"

Her grin lit up her whole face and she wondered if the aching it caused would ever stop, if this happy fluttery feeling engulfing her whole body would ever stop. And she hoped not; because she wanted it to last forever. She closed her eyes and pressed a soft, gentle kiss to his lips.

"Only if you'll be my noodle boyfriend"

END.