Chapter 31: I Tried To Save Him

Mark's POV.

"Mark," Ricky whispered harshly. "You might want to come out now before they find you. I don't want you dead. Let me help you. C'mon, man."

I turned to Sam, who sat next to me, pinned against a concrete wall in attempt to hide from imminent death. I gestured for her to give her opinion, but she shrugged with a sorry and worried expression. I let out a quiet sigh and rested my head against the wall, my mind and thoughts going a billion different directions at once. I wanted nothing more than to believe Ricky, to have him on our side. I need him. I really need him on my side, I need his help. Sam knew my irritating, frustrating and confusing crisis, and she ruffled my hair in a small effort to help me from going mad. I furrowed my eyebrows and started thinking up the pros and cons of Ricky standing alongside us. And I made my decision.

I grabbed a small empty bottle from my backpack and rolled it out from the corner where Ricky's voice came from. I heard him let out a relieved sigh and his rifle made contact with his back, signifying he put it away. He wasn't going to kill us. I saw his hand reach for the bottle and he picked it up. His tan combat boots made a thud with every step as he made his way over to us. I kept a firm grip on my revolver incase I was wrong about his intentions. No way I wanted to hurt him, let alone kill him, but I knew I'd have no other choice if he pulled his rifle on either of us.

Ricky's figure made it around the corner, his hands held up with the bottle in one. He rolled it back to me. I gave him a skeptical look and he noticed. Ricky grabbed his rifle of his back and held it out to me. I took it from him and he pulled a government issued pistol out of his belt and took out the clip, kicking both over to me. He was trying to say that he had no bad intentions of harming us without using words. Actions speak louder than words by a long shot.

"You should know I'm not going to hurt either of you," Ricky stated. "Just believe me, alright? I just handed you my guns, I wouldn't do that if I were intending to harm you."

"What about the knives you always have on you?" I asked. "There's at least nine different ones you have at all times."

"Those have got too many deaths on them already. From here and when I was in Iraq. I don't plan on getting anymore blood stains on them. I can't do that to you or the girl."

"How am I supposed to trust you, Ricky? How do I know your plans aren't changing?"

"You'd kill me if they did. But you aren't going to have to, because my intentions are set in stone. I'm on your side. I can help you. I can fight for you, not against you. Believe me."

"Ricky?"

"What, Mark?"

"Good to have you back on the right team, buddy."

Ricky relaxed. "It's a heaven-sent to be back, Mark. Trust me."

Stacy's POV.

"Why are you two up so late?" I asked Chloe and Trace.

"Just talking. I saw Trace awake so I walked over," Chloe explained. Trace nodded in agreement. "Hey, Stacy?"

"What's up, kiddo?" I asked, crouching down to where her and Trace sat.

"When are Mokuren and Red coming back? They went out to the store a long time ago. I know it's kind of far, but I still wanna know."

As if on cue, Mokuren came running through the doors with Tom at her side, trying to calm her down. Her face was stained in sweat, blood and tears. She was completely out of breath and had lost all train of thought. I stood up and hustled my way over to them with Trace and Chloe and asked Mokuren what was wrong. By now, everyone had woken up and came to see what all the commotion was about.