Chapter 3

Ms. Lucy's art piece^^^^

Haven's POV 

I'm no longer the only person in a 300 level class. However, I am still in a class by myself. Principle Blackmore called me into his office and told me about the new student. Spencer Ray. I had seen him perform once when I was touring musical competitions. I wasn't competing but rather seeing what other people could do. He sang a version of Grenade by Bruno Mars which I quite enjoyed for not being something I would normally listen to. I can see why he would be in the same level as me.

I was relieved to find out I would still be in a section by myself though. Well I love making music I don't like the attention you get from it. Out of all my programs, music is my favorite yet I know it will not be the one I get famous for, well any more famous for. I am already a well-known artist for my artwork as I have sold several pieces over my years at Dale. Most people believe that I am older than what I truly am so no one knows the artist is me.

My one fear about Spencer Ray is that he will be curious about the only other person in the 300 level classes. Lucky for me no one knows I exist at this school. Since I don't have any 200 classes I am free from the high school part of Dale Academy. Spencer is not and will either get treated like a God or an outcast by society.

Today is Tuesday so I have class with Mrs. Stacy today instead of Mr. Lee. I like Mrs. Stacy but I do not like the assignments she gives. Today's is a perfect example as to why I don't.

"You want me to write what?"

"I would like you to write a song that could have multiple interruptions. Most songs nowadays are too easy to read into what the write is saying so I want you to write a song that could have different viewpoints as to who is listening to it." Mrs. Stacy explains to me. I guess it makes sense but it a very weird assignment. "First thing of common things songs are written about then add to that listen with items that are not as common." I nod my head. I start to write my list.

Common- Falling in or out of love. Breaking up. Money/sex/drugs. Relationships.
Uncommon- Politics. Life issues.

The second I wrote down life issues I started to think about things I have read in research about how there has been an increase in how far teenage girls are willing to go to get the perfect body images. Then I started down the rabbit hole of ideas and writing. I didn't have anything to do for my college studies so I continued writing. I stopped right before lunch time. I had finished most of the lyrics of the song and I had melody running through my mind. I grabbed my stuff and ran into the piano room. I set my stuff down and got straight to work on my song Skinny Love.

I kept on working on the melody until I felt that it was time for lyrics. Once I started to sing it was just how I wanted it to sound. I completed the song and was happy with how it turned out. I sang through it a couple more times making some tweaks in the melody and lyrics as I went. I continued until the end of lunch time. I finished up my song and made my way to have favorite teacher, Ms. Lucy. Ms. Lucy is my art 'teacher'. She is more of a mentor to me and gives me help when I need it but doesn't force me to do work I don't want to.

"Good afternoon Ms. Lucy!"

She looks up from the charcoal piece she is working on. "Hello dear. Come come, tell me what you think." I drop my bag at my easel and grab my apron to see what she did.

"It's beautiful Ms. Lucy. I love the way you captured the light even with the charcoal." I tell her looking at the picture of a wave she drew. Ms. Lucy was born in Hawaii and I could tell the days she misses it when she plays the sounds of waves as we work or she work is like this one. "Are we going to be working with charcoal today?" I ask.

"Also I got some more pastels yesterday." She tells me which a slight smirk. I squeal a little and run to my workstation to see the box I missed before. She knows my love for working with pastels.

"Thank you!" I open the box and admire the fresh colors that will soon be gone and made into a beautiful piece of artwork.

I get to work starting the outline of a picture I have in my head. As I draw I think about the song I wrote. I start to use darker tones in my piece as I continue matching my thoughts. Ms. Lucy as always said that she knows what I had been working on in music based on my artwork. If it was easier items my work tends to be more detailed but it is harder stuff like instrument work then my work is softer and more hidden work.

All my teachers have pointed out that I never seem to run out of ideas or pieces. I have only had a mind blank during a couple months but I got my groove back and haven't lost it since.
I continue working on my piece until it's the end of the day. I only have a part of my piece finished but it would be done by the end of the week. I clean up and leave the room after saying goodbye to Ms. Lucy. As I walk down the 300 level hall I hear the strumming of a guitar and I know its Spencer. Mr. Lee doesn't prefer to play guitar but rather the piano or trumpet as weird as it is. I listen for a bit before I leave. He is not half bad.