Chapter 21: Healing rune

Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to write another chapter but here it is hope you enjoy it! Please comment your opinions! :) <3

Jace carries Clary in his arms as him, Magnus and Alec run to the institute as Clary is too weak to portal. "Please baby, come back to me" Jace whispers to Clary's lifeless body. They get to the infirmary and Jace immediately starts cpr. "C'mon Clare please please come back" Jace says desperately. Magnus begins performing a spell on her as Alec applies a blood replacement rune and a healing rune on Clary's arm, and then holds her hand looking from her to Jace. Simon and Izzy come bursting into the room. "What's going on?!" Izzy says as they reach the bed Clary's in, with the three boys on either side of her. Clary's as white as a ghost. "Sebastian came.. took the baby out of her.. killed her.. the baby" Jace said between breaths as he pinches Clary's nose and blows into her mouth. Isabelle clings on to Simon as if she's about to fall, eyes set on Clary. Alec searches for Clary's pulse and then sees that the blood replacement rune and healing rune has disappeared from Clary's arm. He can't find her pulse. "Dammit Clary." he whispers to himself. "Please Clare don't do this you're strong you can do it come back to me. Please." Jace says. Alec looks down at the ground as he sits down next to Clary's bed, his hand still in hers. A tear escapes his eye, as he looks up at Izzy and Simon and shakes his head. Izzy puts her hand up to her mouth to stifle a sob as Simons eyes begin to look glassy as he processes what's happening and hugs Izzy. Magnus stops the spell and puts his hand on Alec's shoulder squeezing it for support. Clary had been like a daughter to him. Jace looks around at them. "What are you all doing just standing there?! Magnus start the spell again, Alec keep applying healing runes and blood replacement runes, Izzy go get blood bags, quickly!!" he shouts as he still performs cpr. They all glance at each other with tears in their eyes wondering what to do. Alec stands up putting his hand on Jace's shoulder. Jace looks at him with fear and anguish in his eyes. "That's enough, brother." Alec says softly. Jace looks at him with pain in his eyes. "No Alec please. No. I won't lose her" Jace's voice cracks. Alec takes Jace's hands of Clary's body and holds them. "I'm sorry Jace. She's already gone." Alec says as tears fall down his face. Jace looks down at Clary's lifeless body and realises. She's gone. He's lost her forever. After everything they've been through, after every obstacle they had overcome, that was the final one. She was the strongest shadowhunter he had ever known and now she's gone. He won't get another look at her emerald green eyes, or hear the soft giggle she makes, or smell her beautiful red hair in the morning as he cuddles up against her. That's all gone. As if it was never there. Everyone stares at Jace as he begins to comprehend what has happened. "Everyone leave. I... want a minute with her." Everyone leaves the room in tears. Clary was their family and now she's gone.. all because of Sebastian. They all sit down at the kitchen table trying to console each other. "We better start arranging the funeral, I need to call Luke and Jocelyn and mom and..." Izzy starts but Simon interrupts her "Iz it's okay take a breather it's.. a lot to process." Simon says as he rubs his eyes. He lost his best friend that he's known all his life. He doesn't know life without her. Who is he going to run to for advice or go on and on about dungeons and dragons to or laugh about the goofiest stuff with. "I... I don't know what to do I know people die in war but not.." Izzy stops as she takes a breath in to stop herself from crying " But not her.. not Clary. She's so strong... she was so strong." Izzy sobs as Alec grabs her hand from across the table "And we're gonna remember her like that Iz like she was. I just don't know how Jace is going to get through this. He's one of the strongest people I know and this will be the greatest obstacle he will ever face." Alec says.

As the door closes behind them Jace looks down at Clary and takes a deep breath in, running his hands through his hair. He sits down next to her and takes her hand. It's beginning to go cold but he ignores it. "I'm so sorry I wasn't good enough to protect you Clary. You deserved so much better than me or Sebastian. You were the greatest thing that ever happened to me and I was so lucky to spend the time I had with you." He strokes her cheek."I love you Clarissa Fairchild." Jace says as he cries. Suddenly Jace hears a slight whooshing sound and looks up at Clary. Except it isn't Clary. It's someone else in the exact same place she lay.