Twentyseven

*Incoming call from: Gilly Willy💝*

"I have to take this, I'll be back." Paige said suddenly, jumping up from the booth and rushing away.

She was at lunch with Finn, and she knew he wouldn't like her talking to Lucas. She rushed away so she could have the conversation with the boy in private. As soon as she was in the safety of a small bathroom stall, she pressed the answer button, letting out a sigh of relief.

"Luc! We haven't talked in a whole week, what's going on with you? Are you okay? You haven't been answering my texts or my calls--"

"Where are you?" Lucas interrupted suddenly, his voice shaky.

"At lunch with Finn, why?"

"Are you with him or are you away from him?"

"Away...are you okay? You're asking a lot of questions..." Paige questioned. She picked at her cuticles as she waited for a response, a bit nervous about Lucas's safety.

"Paige."

"Yes?"

"I need you to shutup and listen to me for a few minutes, okay?"

"Okay..."

"I love you; I love you a lot...And I've been distant for the past week because I didn't know how to tell you, I didn't know if I could tell you. The fact that I've fallen in love, with my best friend of all people, is more than I can fathom. And seeing you with him, with Finn, it kills me every single time I see a picture of you guys together, or hear that you're together, because I love you. I love your smile, your hair, your eyes, your laugh, your personality, your--"

"Okay, Luc, I get it." Paige said softly, a hot tear slipping down her cheek.

"And Paige I promise you, if you simply say you want to be with him, I'll leave. I'll never contact you again, I'll unfollow you--I'll cut off all ties of communication. You can be with him, if that's who you truly want...but..."

"But what?" Paige asked anxiously, shaking with emotion.

"But if you just...if you just say you love me...if you just say that maybe I have a chance, that maybe I mean more to you than just a friend...then I'll stick around."

"Lucas--"

"And if you say you want him that's fine, all that matters is that you're happy, that's all that has ever mattered to me, is keeping that beautiful smile on your face."

"Lucas I--"

"I may not be good enough for you, but I swear I'll try to be better, I'll try to be as good as Finn, to be good enough for you."

"Lucas, I love you okay?"

The line went silent for a moment, and all that was heard was a faint breath coming from Lucas.

"Really?"

"Of course."

"But...but how do you love me?" Lucas asked, thinking that it could possibly be a sibling type love, which is something he definitely didn't want.

"I love you with my entire heart, Lucas Jade Zumann, and I can't believe I'm finally admitting it--but I am. Here I am, standing in the bathroom stall at Zoup, telling my celebrity crush how much I love him."

A soft sniff was then heard, and a boy with a very happy heart spoke. "You really love me?"

"I do."

"It was so hard, Paige."

"What was?"

"Waking up everyday, acting like I wasn't in love with you, seeing you with him and acting like I was okay with it."

Paige smiled to herself, her heart bursting with joy. "That's all over now, Zumann."

"Will you...will you break up with him?"

"Of course. I'll do it right after we hang up...which should be soon because I've been in here for a while."

"Oh! Yeah, I'm sorry! I'll talk to you later?"

"You most definitely will...and Lucas?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."

The two said their goodbyes, both hanging up the phone feeling satisfied and filled with giddy happiness.

Paige inspected herself carefully in the bathroom mirror, wiping away every trace of evidence that showed that she had cried. Tucking her phone into her pocket, she walked out of the bathroom, sitting back in the booth and giving Finn a bright smile.

"Who was it?" Her boyfriend asked, a concerned look on his face.

Paige simply shook her head, picking up her sandwich and grinning.

"No one important."

*

And this, my good friends, is where the HOT tea begins.