Chapter One

I lent against the window sill, listening to the gentle pitter-patter of the rain hitting the glass. I had a hot cup of coffee grasped between my hands, the steam rising up to join the slow rolling grey clouds that floated above the skyline. I watched as the trees swayed in the wind; slowly sipping my coffee in complete peace. It was times like this that really made me appreciate how beautiful life was.

I glanced around my small, studio apartment, noticing the various cardboard boxes with bold words written on them in Sharpie. I had just moved from a small town in Australia, all the way to a large city in the heart of Italy. I left my massive family of eight back in Australia and escaped here to my favourite place on planet Earth.

Suddenly, my kitten, Genie, appeared out of the corner of my eye, brushing herself against me with an elegant purr. "Good morning Genie," I mumbled, placing my empty cup on the window sill before picking up my massive, white fur ball. Genie purred happily in my arms as I walked into the kitchen, placing her gently in front of her food bowl. With that, I headed to the bathroom to check my appearance.

I glanced at the massive mirror that hung above the glamorous, marble sink in my bathroom, to see my own clear, hazel eyes. I looked very grown up with my usually shaggy, blonde hair slicked back into a tight bun, a clean-shaven face and a tight-fitting black suit that made my frame seem more masculine. Today, I started my brand new job as the assistant of Theodore Rizzo, the CEO of Rizzo Law Firm. I scored such an important job because I knew the Chief Executor of Rizzo Law Firm, Dominico Winslow. Dominic is a very special friend of my mothers; her secret mistress of the night. In other words, my mother was cheating on my father with Dominic. My mother agreed to pay for me to move to Italy as long as I kept her little secret to myself.

With a swift smile directed at myself and a quick fixing of my suit, I left my new home and preparing for the short walk to the firm. I was nervous to start as I had heard many rumours of Mr Rizzo's harsh conditions and cruel words. Unlike most people, I thrived off of my own self-consciousness and always tried my best no matter the circumstances. So, with a friendly smile and a confident aura, I entered the large skyscraper, ready to face anything life had to throw at me.

Sydney Fox is here to conquer the world!

(Picture is Genie // sauce: https://weheartit.com/entry/29149613 )