Chapter Three

It was about 3 hours of endless phone answering and appointment booking before the elevator doors opened. A well-dressed man with tuffs of chestnut brown hair and piercing black eyes stepped out and glanced around before focusing his attention on me. I assumed he was Mr Rizzo. In three large strides, he stood before the desk, his eyes taking in my entire being. "Appointments for today," he demanded in a deep voice that made my body shiver. Without looking away from his gaze I answered," Mr Tavani requests to see you at 12 pm about his son's case, Mrs Marmo is coming at 3 pm to discuss construction plans and a Mr Corno Rizzo asked that you call him when you have a moment." He raised his eyebrow before nodding and turning to enter his office. "Come get me when my 12 o'clock arrives," he said as he closed the large glass doors behind him. With that, I continued as usual until I was interrupted by the elevator once again.

This time a chubby man with black, oily hair stepped out and rushed over to me. "Leonada Tavani," the man spoke in an impatient voice, clearly angered by something. With a smile, I head for the glass doors to my left. With a gentle knock, I open the door and announce the man to Mr Rizzo. With a sigh, Mr Rizzo waved him in and I shut the door behind Mr Tavani.

Within minutes Mr Tavani was yelling something in Italian and I could hear the sound of glass smashing. Quickly, I dialled security just in case and continued my work, not getting involved with Mr Rizzo's work.

The elevator opened once again just as Mr Tavani stormed out and headed straight towards me. My eyes widened as the man pulled out a gun and pointed it directly at me. What the actual fuck?!

"Leonada, stop killing my assistants," Mr Rizzo said calmly as the two security guards tackled Mr Tavani and dragged him to the elevator. Mr Tavani yelled at Mr Rizzo in Italian as the doors closed and a tense silence fell over the room. "Sure I will, Mr Rizzo muttered to himself before walking back into his office, the glass doors thudding quietly behind him.

Slightly shaken by the events, I went back to work. After a moment, I decided to inform Mr Rizzo of another appointment and remind him to call Mr Corno Rizzo. With yet another quiet knock I entered the office, walking up to Mr Rizzo's desk to talk formally. "Yes I understand farther, it is not my fault his son stole the money," Mr Rizzo said into his mobile, his back facing me. He finished the phone call and turned back to his desk with a sigh. He raised his eyebrow when he noticed I was standing in front of him. "Mr Amilio called for a 5 pm appointment, saying it was important. I also came here to remind you to call Mr Corno Rizzo, but I assume you have done that," I said, keeping eye contact like I had been told. Mr Rizzo looked at his watch before nodding and gesturing for me to have a seat.

"I make it a habit to get to know my employees after such an unexpected event," Mr Rizzo said, referring to Mr Tavani pointing a gun at me, "So, tell me, who are you?" "My name in Sydney Fox and I'm from Australia. I came here to get away from my 5 brothers and my cheating mother," I said with a smile, never breaking eye contact. He absorbed the information and nodded, his eyes never leaving mine.

"You always look me in the eye, why is that?" he asked, his hands folded in front of him as he raised his eyebrow. "My father taught me the importance of maintaining eye contact to show interest and strength," I said, not lying, but also not telling the whole truth. He hummed at that and sat back in his chair, satisfied with my answer.

"Am I allowed to know about you?" I asked quietly, worried he might yell at or fire me. He smirked slightly before nodding and leaning forwards. "My name is Theodore Rizzo, I was born and raised in Rome, but moved here to grow my company. I have a very large family that moved with me and I know everyone in this city," he said, looking proud about his accomplishments. I was quite surprised to hear that he built this company. I had always assumed it was passed down to him.

Suddenly, I heard the phone ring and stood up. "It was lovely talking to you Mr Rizzo, but I must get back to work," I said and smiled before turning to leave. It was lovely talking to you too Sydney," I could hear the smirk in his voice even though my back was turned to him. I turned to quietly thank him, before continuing my job.

(Picture is Theodore Rizzo // source: https://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=23342789 )