Chapter 4

A short while later, I am still chatting it up with Sayori's club members and getting to know them a little better.

   I listen while Monika explains how the club itself came to be. She had become tired with how deadline-oriented the other clubs she had been a part of had been, and how she had just wanted a place where she could relax and enjoy her love of literature with other like-minded people, hence how the club came to be.

   Yuri herself didn't have much to say during our talks, even pulling out a book and attempting to read in the middle of it all. Given the thickness of the book I could tell it was a novel, and the title was "Book of Markov".

   Sounds spooky. I could tell she was also timid and kind of reserved, but very well-defined in her beliefs.

   "W-what kind of books are you into, (Y/N)?"

   Yuri says this so quietly I almost didn't hear her, not to mention Sayori is chowing down into yet another cupcake right next to me.

   I swear this girl's stomach is a bottomless pit.

   "Umm, ya know, I think I read a horror, novel book once.." I struggle to say.

    A goldfish would literally be a better conversation for Yuri than me right now.

   "Oh.. well, I'm sure we'll get you into something you'll enjoy in no time. Yuri says.

    "Yeah, sounds great, aha.." I respond, giving her a half-hearted smile.

    Sayori notices this, giving my arm a soft squeeze from under the table. It's a tactic she had used since we were kids, and she knew it was a good way to get me to calm down a bit whenever my nerves were getting the better of me.

   I smile at her, mouthing out a "Thanks" whenever the others are engaged in conversation. She responds with a "Of course" in the same fashion, flashing me a grin, although the frosting around her face is a little distracting.

   I also attempt to learn what I can about Natsuki, she's a tough case though. Her rough attitude was pretty hard to get past, but beyond it I could tell was a pretty genuine girl.

   Monika asks me what kind of literature I was into, and I know I'm in trouble again.

   "Umm, I.. I dunno. A little Manga I guess.." I say mostly under my breath. Natsuki perks up upon hearing it though.

   "What kind (Y/N)?"

   I think for a moment.

   "Well, I'm just starting out.. but I guess I'm willing to expand my horizons.."

  This brings a small giggle from Yuri. "An admirable quality.."

   "Well, I mean if Manga was actually literatureeee.." I hear Monika chime, giving Natsuki a look like she knows it will get a rise out of her. 

   Natsuki instantly responds, shooting up from her chair and sticking her arms out to her sides.

  "Manga is literature!!!"

   She picks up a random cupcake wrapper and throws it at Monika before stomping off flustered, getting a good laugh out of everyone at the table.

   After a little more small talk and helping the girls clean up the desks and put away everything, Monika walks the the front of the room and addresses us.

   "Can everyone come up front please, I've get an activity I think you'll all enjoy!"

   We all gather around her in the front of the room, taking seats in the desks adjacent to her. Monika clears her throat.