Five

"It's getting cold, spread two blankets on the back seat for the dogs and put your jacket on. I don't want to turn the heat on in the car just in case those things have thermal-vision or something like that. Probably we already are giving off enough heat with the engine on. Damn! I hate when I don't have accurate information during an important mission." Ruby crawls between our two seats to take the blankets and jackets from the bags while I keep driving following my routine: I look at the road, then at the side mirror, then at the rear-view mirror... and I see the beautiful butt of my brand-new wife inside a pair of tight jeans while she wraps her doggies in a blanket. "Wow!" I whisper getting my attention back to the road before looking at the rear-view mirror again out of the corner of my eye with my lips curled into a smile, I can't help it... Suddenly, she lifts her head and takes a look over her shoulder, she crawls back to the passenger seat with a quick movement and puts on one of the jackets, zipping it up before crossing her arms over her chest.

"Iselen, what were you looking at?" My grin gets wider.

"I was looking for zombies."

"Seriously? Do you think zombies can hide 'there'?" I shrug smiling, to be honest this is the best thing that has happened lately... it's been a crap day. "I got married with a shameless sassy."

"Yes, I'm afraid so." This time I burst into laughing. "But I promise that you'll never get bored with me." I wink at her making her laugh too. It feels so good to joke with her, the atmosphere inside the car is more relaxed now than a few minutes ago.

"Where are we going?" Well, fun's over. It's time to go back to work.

"We're heading to a private airfield located between the Fort Irwin Army Reserve and the Mojave National Preserve. It would take three hours to arrive by car under normal circumstances but, given that we're driving through rural roads it'll take about a two more hours from here. You can sleep if you want." Ruby shakes her head looking out the window. I can't put it off any longer, I'm not able to see the road ahead anymore: I turn on the lights... I hope I'm not making a mistake attracting those things to our car. Just in case, I step on the gas grabbing firmly the wheel. The sooner we get to the airfield, the better.

"And what will happen once we arrive to the Army Reserve?" I don't look at her since I'm focused on the road. I can see an animal running away under the car lights... a dog... or maybe a coyote.

"We're not going to the Army Reserve. Whatever happens, don't go to a military base." Ruby stares at me frowning and confused. "Listen, I imagine a lot of people must have thought the same: hundreds of soldiers gathered in one place with tons of weapons... it must be a safe place to hide. It's quite the opposite, if one of those soldiers becomes a zombie and they don't kill him, that base would be a slaughter. Safe zones are secluded areas. In a few weeks they'll be survivors living on their own or being part of small groups and those who can find a safe place, far from the main cities and communications routes, are likely to be the most successful and will defend their territories fighting tooth and nail."

"Like the movies..."

"That's it. However San Diego and its military base... I bet that place is a hornet's nest right now surrounded by those creatures. Worst place to hide." I muffled sound comes from my jacket, I have a new message. Finally, it's about time. I take my foot off the gas to reduce speed. "Ruby, I need you to do me a favour. You're going to keep your eyes fixed on the road and grab firmly the wheel while I put on the warmer jacket you have on your lap. Then I'm going to take my phone and dial a number, I'll put it on speaker so you can hear too but try to be quiet while I explain the situation to my Sergeant. Keep focused on the road and your hands always on the wheel. Now."