Silvia Del Rae

"Hey Nico, wait up!"

"Oh, uh hi Silvia, what do you need?"

I sighed, shaking my head slightly. "Can't a girl just say hi?"

He looked at me, something flashing in his eyes, before shrugging. Maybe he was embarrassed, flustered by my presence. Maybe his cold front act was because he didn't know how to act around me? Yes, that must have been it.

"Well, then I'll see you around Nico!" I waved goodbye, trying to tell myself it didn't matter that he hadn't waved goodbye.

I saw my friend over in the corner, moving over to her, grabbing her arm. I ignored the way she jumped, her hand drifting to her pocket, while her other hand came up to clock me.

She always did it when I sneaked up on her, and I had grown used to it by now, able to dodge most of her reflective hits.

"Hey Gabbs, guess what just happened?"

She relaxed, letting her posture untighten. "What's up Vi?" smiling at me.

I grabbed her hands, swinging them side to side. "Well I talked to Nico again and he gave me the cold front like usual, and I didn't know what to think of it, then I thought maybe he might be flustered and maybe he could like me. Right, Gabbs?"

He expression soured a little like it always did when I brought up Nico's name. I tried not to think too much about it. "Yeah maybe. I still think this is a silly crush, you know that."

I huffed, dropping her hands. "Why can't you just support me?"

"Because I don't want to see you hurt!"

"You're supposed to be my bestest friend in the whole wide world. Doesn't that mean anything to you anymore!"

"Why can't you just see that he doesn't like you!"

"You're the worst friend ever!"

I turned on my heel, scrubbing furiously at my eyes. I ignored her behind me, pulling my jacket around me, head down.

===+===

I hadn't talked with Gabby since that morning, and it was nearing lunchtime. I didn't even realize how much I would miss her. I hadn't forgotten about my anger, now ashamed at how I had yelled at my best friend.

Maybe she was just looking out for what was best for me. Maybe it was finally time to give up my crush.

The bell sounded loud, and I hurried to pack my things, wanting to find Gabby and apologise.

I made it halfway towards the lunchroom before I spotted her. What surprised me was that she was talking with Nico, the two of them huddled around the pen that Gabby always carried with her.

Except it was glowing, and it flashed, and I almost fell back because that wasn't her normal pen. It was a-

Something grabbed my arm, something sinking into my forearm sharply. Before I knew it I was being pulled back. It felt like claws were digging into my arms, scratching the skin. A scream fell from my lips before I could stop it, my heart beating in my ears.

Before I could even think of fighting back, the thing had begun dragging me backwards. I struggled against the hold, hearing someone call out my name, and I just hope whoever it was would help me because whatever had me had three heads, and I was freaking out because it definitely wasn't human.

I got my feet planted on the ground, effectively regaining my footing, swinging my leg back to land on the thing holding me. I felt it stumble and ripped it's hand from my arm, reeling around to land another kick on its chest.