Chapter 6

A wide bright green leaf landed nearly in Cristina's lap. She picked it up and immediately glanced at Kieran. "Mind." He said simply. Then he gestured to the pouch and said, "Choose one. Without looking."

Tentatively Cristina loosened the string of the satchel and dug her fingers in, clasping onto the first cool stone she touched and drew it out. Kieran smiled that little half grin of his. There was a gleam in his eye that made Cristina nervous. She looked to Mark for reassurance but his eyes were on Kieran, in an almost calculating way. What have I gotten myself into? She worried at the inside of her cheek. And withdrew a deep red stone. Garnet, a desire.

Cristina placed the leaf and the garnet gemstone into Kieran's awaiting hand as she and Mark watched quietly, Cristina with a nervous curiosity and Mark with a slightly bored amusement, while Kieran unwound from the stick that held Cristina's hair. He placed all three sticks on top of the leaf along with the garnet and bound them all together with the same strand of Cristina's hair.

Cristina felt her stomach drop. She gave a panicked look to Mark. No binding! Her eyes seemed to say. But Mark leaned forward and whispered, "It's only a game." Finally Kieran looked up, "I'm only asking because you're not a faerie: are you ready?"

"Ready for what?"

But Kieran only shrugged, "That is up to you, Cristina." He replied. And then, with the little bundle cupped in his large hands he lifted it to his mouth and blew.

0               0                 0

Cristina was kissing Mark. Her fingers were tangled into his pale hair and his hands were tightened on her waist. He took a step, urging her back until the backs of her knees met with the edge of a bed. Her hands moved almost frantically down to the hem of Mark's shirt, drawing it up until he broke away and slipped it up over his head. Cristina pulled Mark down on top of her onto the bed. She wasn't even surprised at herself for being so bold. And she didn't protest when Mark's hand trailed down below her waist. His fingers teased across her hip bones over the thin material of her dress and then dipped lower. She pressed up to meet him and moaned quietly at the contact.

A shadow appeared over Mark's shoulder. Kieran. "Cristina, tell me what you want." Mark pleaded in her ear. He looked back at Kieran and then back to her. Cristina nodded. She heard Mark whisper something to Kieran in faerie. And then he shifted to the side, off of Cristina but he leaned forward again and touched his lips to hers. She didn't care what was happening because she was tasting Mark again. He kissed her softly, slowly. It made her ache for him.

She felt the bed dip on her right. Mark took Kieran's wrist pulling his hand down to where his had been, replacing it. "Like this..." Mark instructed Kieran. Kieran pressed and stroked, long fingers agonizingly teasing. And Cristina arched into Kieran's touch. She felt the thin strap of her dress slide down her shoulder and Mark pressed his mouth on her exposed skin following after it. Lower. Lower still. Her breath hitched.

Kieran leaned over her then. Caging her with his arms. He wedged a knee between hers and slipped in between her legs. Her dress slid up to her hips with the movement. He hovered above her, staring down at her. Taking her all in. Her heart fluttered in anticipation. His eyes fell to her lips and that was his undoing. He lunged forward aggressively capturing her mouth with his. A pleasant clash of tongue and teeth. His kiss was fierce. Hard. Hungry.

Kieran pressed against her and she felt him, all of him. She moaned into his mouth and he moaned into hers, misreading her. He reached down, pulling loose the strings at his waist and then he reached into his pants. Cristina felt a rush of panic. Wait. Her head spun. She pressed her hands against Kieran's bare chest, "Wait. Stop."

0               0             0

Cristina opened her eyes and found herself still sitting on the floor of Kieran's room. All three of them still in their triangular formation. They hadn't moved. Her hand flew up to clutch the pendant at her throat and she scrambled to her feet. "You...I....that wasn't me." She shook her head fervently. Shaking away the images in her mind. It wasn't real It wasn't real it wasn't real.

Mark slowly rose to standing, he held his hands up, "It's only a game, Cristina. Just a faerie trick." Kieran snorted. And suddenly Cristina realized with horror that she wasn't the only one who experienced the...vision or whatever that was. When Kieran bound everything together...embarrassment blossomed on her cheeks and she stumbled backward.

"She is afraid of her own desires." Kieran stated, he dipped his head toward her looking at her through his lashes. A mocking smile ghosted his mouth. "Aren't we all?" Mark asked rhetorically.

"I'm sorry. I--It's late. I should...go." Cristina whirled toward the door and slipped out into the cool and darkened hall. She heard footsteps coming after her but she didn't stop. "Cristina, please. Let me walk you back to your room?" She stopped then at the pleading tone of Mark's voice. She waited until he came up beside her and then she continued until they came to her door. She reached for the knob. But Mark placed his hand over her wrist, "I'm sorry--"

"I'm just...I'm just worried about tomorrow, you know? Going before the council in Idris. The Inquisitor. I'm worried for Kieran." Mark's head snapped up at that, "You're worried about Kieran?" He asked. Cristina nodded, "Yes. I am. I've come to care for Kieran. And you. I'd hate for either of you to be hurt. Or separated..."

"We're Shadowdhunters..."

"I know." Cristina sighed. She ran a hand over her face. She felt so suddenly tired. "I know. We are supposed to be stronger than this. I am supposed to be. I...I just needed a distraction." She winced at her words, they sounded cold and harsh in the quiet hall. And she immediately regretted them at the look that passed over Mark's face. She opened her door and stepped into her room. "Look, it's late--"

Mark pushed passed her, stepping into the room as well. He shut the door. "I don't just want a distraction. You mean more than that to me, Cristina." They stood facing each other, Cristina's back was flush against the solid wood door. Mark's eyes were searching, his pupils dilated in the dark to nearly fully encompass the blue and silver. His chest was rising and falling with heavy breaths.

"But Kieran..." Cristina whispered. Mark stepped closer. The proximity between them felt electrically charged, her pulse was soaring, her mind racing. "Kieran will always be in my heart. But I have room in my heart for more than just Kieran. And I'd hoped that maybe you could to..."

Cristina searched Mark's eyes. The silence growing ominous. Images and memories and desires. Judgements and shame, confusion and denial all rushed through her mind, her emotions in fast succession, matching the pounding rhythm of her heart. She felt dizzy. I don't know I don't know I don't know. She chanted internally. I don't know what I want. I don't if I could. I don't know if I could allow myself...

"I don't know. I don't know, Mark."

Cristina stepped away from her door. A silent command. She watched with an exhausting array of emotions as Mark turned the handle and slipped out into the hall. The door clicked shut behind him. And she let out a sob. Just one whimper. But the tears poured freely, silently after.

AN: I wrote this short little daydream of mine last summer, in 2017 with the intention of perhaps continuing on with what I felt should occur next before the release of Queen of Air and Darkness but I kind of like it just where it is.

Ha. But if we don't get a Cristina, Mark and Kieran threesome in the next book, you know for sure I'll be back ;)