Chapter 13

Two Days Later

KEEGAN

As Cody, Gavin and I walk along the barren and empty streets, fingers hovering over the triggers of our guns, I glance back at them.

"So, Cody, what exactly do you guys look for during the day?" I ask, and Cody shrugs.

"Well, a couple times we have run into a few Federation stragglers, sweeping the area. But mostly we just look around for supplies, and keep the area clean."

I raise my eyebrow.

"That's it? That seems a little....dull." I say, underwhelmed.

Cody rolls his eyes.

"Look, I know you guys think that this place is deserted and that there's nothing to be careful about, but there are always risks. The animals may be active and dangerous at night, but that doesn't mean they aren't out now. A few still roam the streets, always hunting. So there is a very large risk that we face every time we even open that door to the hospital. Do you know the size of regular wolves? These are almost twice as big. If you see a wolf, you shoot it, and then run for your life." He says, and I glance over at Gavin with wide eyes.

Gavin nods.

"Um...okay. Let's get the supplies, then head back." He says with a bit of concern, and Cody nods.

Walking quicker, we reach the beaten up convenience store, the windows broken and debris littering the floor.

I look around, then see some food on the shelves.

I turn to Cody.

"Is any of the food still good?"

Cody shrugs.

"The food in the closed packaging should still be good. Grab some water from the freezer, too." He says, pointing towards the back.

I nod and walk back there. Opening the freezer door, I'm surprised to find that a small bit of cold air still comes from the fridge.

Swinging my bag around to the front, I grab as many water bottles as can fit in my bag.

Once my bag is completely full, I close it and sling it over my shoulder.

Turning, I see Gavin filling his bag with food, and Cody is putting some supplies in his bag, including fuel and matches, more knives, lighter fluid and the like.

I walk back over and tighten my pack, looking down at him.

"Are we ready to go?" I ask, and Cody stands up as Gavin walks to stand behind me.

He slings his pack onto his back.

"Yeah. Let's go." He says as we load our guns.

Stepping out through the broken window, we look around, up and down the streets, to make sure it's clear.

"On me," Cody says, and we run down the street, making our way back towards the hospital.

Suddenly a howling sound in front of us makes us stop.

I look at Cody, and his eyes widen.

"Oh, shit."

Another howl to our left, then to our right, then behind us.

Out of the shadows of the road slink four huge wolves, snarling and glaring at us with insatiable hunger in their eyes, their unrelenting instinct circling us.

I raise my gun, and Gavin and Cody's actions meet mine.

"Okay...now, unless you aim well, it takes a lot more shots than you'd think to take them down," Cody says. I nod.