Chapter 36

Merrick

After I talked to Cody and Spike about what to do about Keegan, I went back to my room.

I can't think straight.

Not having even stopped thinking about Keegan for hours, my brain is just starting to hurt.

Falling back on my bed, I sigh.

What am I going to do?

Logan is recovering from almost dying, Keegan is trapped in the Federation base, and only Spike, Cody and I are left.

Putting my arm over my eyes, I take a deep breath.

Then the door to my room slams open, and I jolt, sitting up straight.

"Augh!" I shout in surprise, and Spike stares at me with an excited expression on his face.

"I have an idea how to get Keegan!" He says, and my eyes widen.

"What is it?"

Shaking my head, I look up at Cody, sitting across the table from me.

"NO. We are not firebombing the base." I declare, and Spike stands up angrily.

"Merrick, we have the resources! There're enough explosives down in the ammunition to blow that base right open-"

"WITH KEEGAN STILL INSIDE!!" I yell, and Spike narrows his eyes.

"Thomas, just let me finish what I'm trying to say!!" Spike shouts back, and I sigh heavily, then sit back down. Spike nods.

"We wouldn't blow it until someone gets Keegan out of there. They can sneak in while the others distract the soldiers. Then, once Keegan is out, we blow the place." He says, and Cody crosses his arms.

"Juvenile, risky, and very flawed characteristics aside, I think it might work." He says, and I stare at him with wide eyes.

"How?! How are we going to get to Keegan? He's right in that center room! There is no way we would be able to-"

"I know how we could get in."

We all turn to see Logan standing in the door, then he slowly walks over. He flinches as he leans against the end of the table, then looks up at us.

"I know how we can get to Keegan." He says, and Spike looks at him intently.

"How?"

Cody sits forward, also awaiting an answer.

Logan nods.

"When we were all fighting the Federation before we got out of there, I noticed a few other ways we could get in. First off, there was an air duct right above the walkway to the room where Keegan is most likely being held. Second, there was a back door to that room, but that is out of the picture, as it probably leads to yet another maze of hallways. But thirdly, there was a skylight above the room." He states, and my eyebrow rises. He continues. 

"My theory is if we could manage to get close enough to the Federation building, someone could get to the roof and either go in through the duct or the skylight to get to Keegan quicker. As they're doing that, the rest of us will keep the Federation busy." He suggests, and I meet Cody and Spike's eyes.

I sigh.

"That is a pretty good plan, Logan, except for one thing," I say, and he looks up at me.

"You're still too injured to go anywhere near the Federation," I say, and Logan's eyes flare.

"Oh, am I?! I can walk, can't I? I can hold a gun, can't I? And don't you remember what you told me about Keegan, how even after he was shot in his first battle, he still fought against the Federation, tooth and nail, in the highest risk situation?! If I can carry a gun, then I am plenty strong to go up against the Federation!" Logan shouts, and I lean back in surprise a bit, then catch Cody's eye.