Chapter 53

7 April 2029

2205 hours

Cody

I sigh, sitting down on the edge of my bunk, pulling off my boots. Laying back, I close my eyes, so ready for a good night's sleep. My chest rises with a deep breath, falling back down slowly.

"Cody."

A voice suddenly makes me jolt, and I open my eyes to spin around, looking around the small barracks. My eyebrow raises when I see no one around.

'But...I swear I just heard someone call my name...'

"That's because you did, Cody."

A second, different voice startles me, and my eyes widen when I recognize it.

No...that's not possible. They both...they're both....

I spin around, then my heart stops when I see the two men sitting on the bunk across from me, the younger grinning at me. My eyes are wide, my mouth hanging open.

"Match...Slate..." My voice comes out as only a whisper, and Match smirks.

"Yep. Told you that you heard your name." He says happily, and Slate rolls his eyes, shaking his head, then looks down to meet my eyes. I open my mouth to say something, but no words come out. Slate sighs.

"Cody. I can understand any inconceivable thoughts you might be having right now, but-"

I shake my head. "NO! How the hell are you here?! I...you're both..." My words stop and Match sighs.

"Dead. Yeah. We noticed." He states, and I send him an annoyed look. He throws his hands up in surrender. "Hey, I'm just saying it as it is, Cody! But just listen to us for a minute, will you?!" He pleads, and I sigh. Slate leans his arms on his knees, holding his head up with his hands under his chin.

"Cody, I know that David and Logan told you something about what happened to Trent." He voices, and my eyes widen.

"They were telling the truth. I mean... I had my doubts, but...." I stutter, and Match leans forward.

"Yeah. We're here, Cody. We're all still around. How the hell do you think you all made it this far?" He snickers and Slate elbows him.

Match frowns, rubbing his arm. "Hey..."

I rub my face with my hands. "What do you mean, 'we're all still here'?" I question, and Slate smiles softly.

"Cody. We're Ghosts. Not just like you, but.....well....Let's just put it that we're all still watching over you guys. David and Logan have Keegan and Hesh looking out for them. Hesh and Keegan are determined to keep those two safe." He chuckles, and Match lets out a deep breath.

"Yeah, no kidding. I mean, what Hesh did..." He bites his lip, and I raise my eyebrow.

"So it really was him," I say softly, then I raise my head. "Slate, when you said you're all still here, did you mean that all the other Ghosts are-"

A hand on my shoulder makes me turn around, and my eyes widen as those kind light green eyes meet mine.

"Elias..." I whisper, and my commander nods then sits next to me.

"Cody, you've done well. You and all the Ghosts. And yes, we are all still watching out for you. The Hawks are looking after Spike, and Stalker is watching over Merrick. And as for my son? Well, he's got two of the best soldiers I've ever seen in a lifetime looking out for him." He says with a chuckle, and a smile creeps its way onto my face. Glancing back at Slate, I sigh.