Chapter 38

Trent

Groaning, I slowly sit up.

Damn, that hurt.

Looking down, I unzip my jacket to look at the bullet caught in the vest I wear.

Taking a deep breath, I lean back against the console. Glancing to the side, I see Thrash's dead body, blood splattered on the console and floor around him from the hole in his skull.

I frown. So I guess that ally is gone.

Looking over to where we had kept Keegan, I see the large blood stains on the floor, but no sign of his body anywhere.

The Ghosts rescued him. What's left of them, anyway.

I smirk and painfully stand up. I sigh heavily and pick up the radio on my belt.

Flicking it on, I call out,

"Michael...."

The radio crackles, and I hear his voice come through.

"Trent! Ya still alive! Whaddaya know." He jokes, and I smirk.

"Alright, you Boston bastard. The Ghosts rescued Keegan, and Thrash is dead." I explain, and I hear Michael sigh.

"Damn. He was our most powerful soldier," he mutters, and I nod, then clear my throat. Michael clicks his tongue.

"Sorry. Anyway, whaddya want, buddy?" He asks, and I smirk.

"Get the soldiers together. We have quite an attack to plan." I order, and I can almost see Michael's grin through the radio.

"Copy that, bro."

TWO MONTHS LATER

21, March 2028

1100 hours

Cody

I sit in the communications room, exhaustedly flipping through the channels. My chin rests in my hand, my arm propped up on the table. As I tire, my eyes half close.

These damn screens are almost drilled into my brain now.

After almost two months, we haven't seen any Federation activity. At all. And that has made Logan especially suspicious, and now he's having either me, Spike, or Merrick on the control panel at all times.

Dropping my head with a heavy sigh, I groan.

I can't stand this. Merrick can deal with this.

As I push my chair back, a sudden crackle comes through the radio next to me. I swing my head around and raise my eyebrow. It crackles again, and then I hear a small noise.

"...Icx..for...ghtu...sfdie..."

I turn back around and pick it up, then turn up the volume, and fiddle with the signal. Hesitating for a moment, I frown.

"Is there anyone there?" I say into it, then another crackle comes through.

"This is...-ton company....-der Jackson.....Is there....-ldiers out there?" The voice asks, and I frown.

Turning up the signal, I hold the radio closer.

"Repeat, who is this?" I ask again, curiosity increasing. The voice comes through again, but much clearer.

"This is Corporal West of the Boston company, under Commander Jackson. Is this the recon team of San Diego?" He asks, and my eyes widen.

There are still other soldiers out there? Shaking myself out of my daze, I click the radio.