Chapter 26

8 Months Later

February 7th, 2016

Checking the ammo for my gun, I sigh.

The Remington R5 in my hands feels odd, as I know it isn't for target practice.

Three days ago, the Federation attacked a civilian hospital, and we're being sent to face them down.

We're the best of the best soldiers. Tier One Teams.

Glancing over at Merrick as I slip my tactical knife into its sheath, I take a breath.

"Are you ready for this?" I ask with curiosity. He glances up and shrugs.

"I mean, I think we all are. We're the best soldiers in the compound, Keegan. Holt trained us well."

I nod, turning back to continue to pack up my backpack.

I feel a hand on my shoulder and I turn to see Gavin, with a man next to him. I spin around, facing them both.

"Hey, Gavin," I say, and Gavin thumbs at the man next to him, maybe twenty-five with short brown hair and greyish blue eyes.

"This is my friend, Spike. He's gonna be with us. There's a lot of soldiers we haven't met yet that are gonna be with us today. Rorke said there's sixty of us."

I raise my eyebrow.

"Rorke?" I wonder, and Spike nods.

"He's our commander. Gabriel Rorke. He's a goddamn drill sergeant, but he taught us well." Spike says, and I shrug, turning back to my backpack.

"Whatever works. You guys should get ready to go. Wheels up in twenty minutes." I suggest, and Spike flicks Gavin's shoulder.

"Let's go." He says, and Gavin nods.

"I'll see you on the plane, Keegan." He says, then walks away.

Letting out a sigh, Merrick walks over to me.

"Hey, you okay?" He asks, and I look up to meet his eyes.

"I mean, we're sixty men, facing down a force of 500 enemy soldiers. I don't know." I mutter, and Thomas puts his hand on my shoulder. I look up to meet his eyes.

"Hey, like I said the day I first met you. I'll have your back the whole way through," he says comfortingly, and I smirk.

"Yeah. I got yours, too." I reply.

Holt walks over to us, and we all stand at attention.

"Okay, men. I know we are few in numbers, but we are the best of the best. When you go out there today, your objective is to force the Federation back from the hospital to keep its occupants alive. There's going to be casualties. You need to understand that. In war there always are. But I know that my men are the best of the best. You'll make it through this, and you'll make me proud. Grab your gear, boys. Let's move out." He orders.

I grab my M110 SASS sniper rifle, slinging it on my back. My Remington is strapped to my belt, and I take a deep breath, running to the plane.

Our uniforms, grey and black tactical, are light but protective.

Climbing into the plane I was assigned, I look around. About thirty men are in this one, thirty in the other.

I see Gavin and Spike down near the storage area, talking to three other men.

A shove makes me stumble a bit, and I turn around to see a man about five years older than me with messy light brown hair and blue eyes looking at me.