Chapter eight

When Kate woke up the next morning she turned onto her belly in her bed only to find her peanut standing next to the edge with a great grin on her lips and she narrowed her eyes at the girl.

"Mm peanut," she grunted as she tried to find her voice after the deep slumber she'd been in.

"Good morning mom," Elisabeth said with a sweet voice filled with innocence.

What was she up to now? Kate turned over from her belly in order to get a better look at her daughter. In the most warning tone she could muster that early in the morning, she said her name which immediately got the reaction of her daughter turning away with a shrug saying 'What? It can't just be a good morning?' in the most innocent voice possible. That got Kate into action, she sat up and wiped her hands down her face as she cleared her throat.

"Elisabeth Johanna Beckett, come back here!" she called after her daughter, who was halfway out the door when she stopped the second her mother's determined voice filled the room.

Kate could see the hesitation in her daughter's body as the girl started, slowly, backing towards the bed again, turning around with a careful smile. "What's up mom?" she asked and Kate breathed out slowly in order to not snap at her kid for trying to stall.

"Hon, if you don't start telling me 'what's up' soon I will give you consequences," Kate said in a calm tone as she let her eyes bore into her daughter's mirroring hazel green eyes.

Elisabeth pretty instantly gave up, giving out a breath as her shoulders slumped down, and she reached for Kate's phone on the nightstand. Deciding that her daughter most probably had given up Kate only waited her out, knowing she would soon find out whatever thing Elisabeth hadn't planned on telling her. The girl clicked into something on her phone and then handed it to her, her eyes going to the floor to avoid meeting her mother's. To her surprise Elisabeth had opened her messages, and what had her eyes widen and her eyebrows skyrocket was the texts she had in front of her.

*Hi Kate, just wondering if you and Elisabeth want to come over and have dinner with me and Alexis tomorrow night? Thought it could be fun for the two of them to meet, plus I make a killer lasagna. RC*

*We'd love to. KB*

"Did you send a message pretending to be me?! Elisabeth!" shouting might not have been the best way to handle the situation but Kate was too shocked to not react that way.

She could feel a small panic rising in her veins, her heart starting to pound faster. She had not planned on taking her daughter out to meet him again, at least not yet! Her daughter would only presume... she didn't know what she'd presume! That was the whole problem! She'd told her daughter she was in no position of dating and what would she think if Kate agreed to dinner with the Castle family?

"I want to meet them! Please mom, can we go?" Elisabeth pleaded with the sweetest voice she could get out. "We already said yes," she added with a smug smile and Kate narrowed her eyes on her daughter.

"Go get dressed," she ordered with a finger pointed to their dresser and as her daughter obeyed she glanced down at her phone again. Why did her belly turn when she thought about canceling her daughter's plans? Why did her heart skip a beat at the thought of actually going through with it? Fuck.

——————————————

"Mom, I can't... I don't think I can do this," Kate told her mom as she looked down at her growing belly.

It was starting to show now and her whole body was filled with fright. What was she going to do? But her mother came towards her with a calm surrounding her soul.