[31] BUCKY BARNES

this is a bit of a longer one, and i feel like this is more of an imagine than a one shot, so i apologize! hopefully you enjoy! this was inspired by the song 'bang bang (my baby shot me down)' sung by nancy sinatra. if you want a more authentic read, give it a listen! also, I know this song was released in the 60s, but pretend it was released in the 30-40s. thanks! happy reading!

bucky laughed happily among the rest of the howling commandos, a pint of beer in his one hand

bucky laughed happily among the rest of the howling commandos, a pint of beer in his one hand. they had the night off, and the team all spent it in a local bar, where there were live singers.

as the light hearted night continued, a man in a dressy suit approached the stage, and looked out to the crowd, seeing only a few actually listening to him. "alright, ladies and gentlemen, we're gonna bring the mood down a little bit. please welcome to the stage, the lovely Y/N L/N!"

bucky and steve's head snapped towards the stage at the sound of the familiar name. a flood of memories rushed into his mind, on how Y/N was by his side his whole life, and how he enlisted for the war behind her and steve's back, before his big experimentation.

the night prior to leaving, he laid with you, and only said goodbye through a note, since he didn't want to put you in any more grief than you already were in.

bucky snapped out of his small trance, watching as a slim lady emerged from the maroon curtains at the back of the stage. she wore an eye-catching red dress that hugged her small figure in all the right places. her H/C hair was pinned up and back in a neat way that showed off her protruding collarbones. she smiled towards the crowd, and through her perfectly painted lips, were a set of straight, pearly white teeth.

bucky couldn't help but smile at the lady before everyone, getting slightly annoyed that every male in the bar wolf whistled at her as she stood behind the mic. grabbing onto it with freshly manicured fingers, she didn't waste any time to start her song.

"i was five, and he was six. we rode on horses made of sticks. he wore black and i wore white, we would always win the fight. bang, bang, he shot me down. bang, bang. i hit the ground, bang, bang. that awful sound, bang, bang. my baby shot me down."

another wave of whistles made their way around as steve and bucky shared an almost guilty look. when bucky's blue eyes found their way up towards the stage again, they locked with Y/N's, who was already staring at back at him. Y/N quickly let he tongue poke from her mouth, wetting the edge of her lips, carful not to ruin her makeup, as she continued to sing for the hungry crowd.

"seasons came and changed the time. when i grew up, i called him mine. he would always laugh and say 'remember when we used to play?',"

Y/N locked eyes with bucky again, sending a chill down his spine.

"bang bang, i shot you down, bang bang. you hit the ground, bang bang. that awful sound, bang bang. i used to shoot you down."

as the low guitar continued to strum, she bowed her head, having a tight grip in the mic. bucky noticed her chest give a small but quick jerk, as if she was inhaling—gasping quickly.

she was crying.

Y/N let a small sob pass her lips as she fought back tears painfully. her cue to dig again came sooner than she hoped, and she lifted her head, trying to not let any sorrow emotions show.

"music played and people sang. just for me, the church bells rang."

Y/N turned away from the mic, giving herself five seconds to contain herself. bucky leaned forward in his seat, wanting so badly to bound over to her, sweep her in his arms, and kiss her passionately, letting her know that he would return, only for her.

when she turned back to the crowd, who lightly cheered her on, her face was almost emotionless, which gave bucky another stab of guilt in his stomach.

"now he's gone, i don't know why," Y/N looked at bucky once more, locking eyes with him for the rest of the song. "and till this day, sometimes i cry. he didn't even say goodbye, he didn't take his time to lie."

as the lyrics passed her lips in a velvety tone, bucky's one tear threatened to fill his eyes, hating how the song felt directed at him. he inhaled through his nose, pushing down the emotions in sake for the other men in the room.

"bang bang, he shot me down. bang bang, i hit the ground. bang bang, that awful down."

Y/N lifted a fist, aiming her index and middle finger towards bucky, replicating a handgun.

"bang bang, my baby shot me down."

a/n — i dunno...it seemed better in my head.