one

I looked at the IV sticking out of my arm, and then at my mother, who was sitting and reading a magazine. The lines on her forehead were very prominent.

"Mom?"

She rushed to my side. "Hi, sweetie. How are you feeling?"

"I've been better."

She sighed and took my hand.

"Do they know what's wrong with me yet?"

"I'm afraid not, Beth. I'm sure they'll know soon."

She'd told me the same thing when I was five years old.

I'd been having problems since the day I was born. I almost didn't survive my first night due to breathing problems. When I was five, I threw up almost every day. Ten, I had heart problems. Now, I had to spend my junior year in the hospital, with what they thought was anorexia, even though I ate like a pig.

It was true, I was too skinny, but not from anything I'd done. I didn't take medication, I never missed a meal (with snacks in between) and the only exercise I did was basketball.

Doctor Rosica walked in and smiled sympathetically.

"Hey Bethany. How you holding up?" she asked.

I half-smiled. "Fine."

"Great." she pulled out my reports. "Have you eaten anything?"

"Just that spiked oatmeal shit." I sighed.

"Bethany!" my mother said strictly.

"Okay, anything to drink?" Doctor Rosica asked me.

"Water."

She scribbled on her notepad.

"I have a proposition for you."

I raised my eyebrow and nodded. This was new.

"I have a patient who's having the same problems as you. We think it might benefit you both to get together and chat."

Great. Some whiny chick who actually does have anorexia, just what I need.

"She'd love to!" my mother said before I could open my mouth. I glared at her.

"Wonderful! I'll come back to you with details later. Get some sleep, Beth." Doctor Rosica said.

"No problem." I sighed and closed my eyes.