Ittoki Otoya (8)

ITTOKI OTOYA:

Birds chirped to what seemed like an endless song of pleasantness as the warm afternoon breeze weaved between a field of the sunflowers, Their petals waving softly as it did. An array of coloured leaves and petals from flowers twirled as they danced with the changing flow of the wind. It was certainly a nice day for an outing or a picnic.

Your mystery admirer had sent you another letter this morning this time requesting that you and he meet. Apparently, he wanted to meet you in person. Being the cautious person, you would usually think twice before agreeing to something as uncertain as this. However, your instincts hinted you otherwise, believing that it might be the person whom you had yearned to meet for a very long time.

“It’s now or never,” you exclaimed to yourself as you stepped further into the open air. It was a really nice place. The bright scenery around you matched the summer atmosphere perfectly. The sky was clear and the breeze gently kissed at your face. It reminded you of days long past and a certain someone whom faded along with them, you missed that person terribly.

‘Crunch, crunch, crunch,’ you heard the sound of faint approaching footsteps on dried grass, only a few moments later, a fellow human being’s presence became very close to your own. Without much hesitation, you quickly hid behind a nearby bush to conceal yourself from the approaching stranger. Cautiously, you peeked through the tiny holes in between branches to catch a glimpse of the person.

Seconds turned into minutes as the figure became close enough to identify. At closer inspection, you found that the red haired man seemed oddly familiar but you just couldn’t put your finger on it. Could he be the one who had sent all those letters? Considering the options you had, the young male began to sing into the breeze. It was a very beautiful yet sad melody, you listened attentively.

“Ne…[your name], if you could hear me now…I’m here,” he said in what could only be described as a miserable voice. ‘So it was him!’ You covered your mouth in shock as it hit you, however you soon realised that he was already turning the opposite direction, preparing to leave as you thought of what to do next.

“Ah wait!” You finally jumped out from your little hiding place and called out to him, making him stop dead in his tracks. He turned quickly and was soon facing your direction, his eyes wide open as he too realised who you were and began running towards you. Soon, you felt strong, wilful arms scoop you up into an embrace. Except they were shaking, in fact the form that had been so thrilled to see you, in its entirety was shaking, you could tell that he must have started sobbing into your shoulders. You leaned your head against his as you hugged him back hoping that it would somehow comfort him.

“I thought that you…wouldn’t come,” he muttered between ragged breaths, raising his face slightly, he then continued with a slightly shaky voice. “I thought that you’d left…I thought that something happened to you like mother and you didn’t want to see me demo…yokattayo,” Breaking into a grin, he caressed your face. “Ne..will you stay with me?”

-END